Using Amazon ECS for Blue-Green Deployments
81 students completed the lab in ~1h:9m
Total available time: 1h:55m
Be the first to rate this lab!
Using Amazon CodeBuild and EC2 Container Service to Perform a Blue-Green Deployment
Amazon EC2 Container Registry (ECR) is a fully-managed Docker container registry that helps you store, manage, and deploy Docker container images. ECR is integrated with Amazon EC2 Container Service (ECS), streamlining your development and deployment operations. You can use Amazon's other services such as Simple Storage Service (S3) and Identity and Access Management (IAM) to control and manage your entire container-based solution. In this Lab you will build two Docker container images with Amazon CodeBuild, push the images to ECR, and perform a blue-green deployment operation using ECS.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Use application source files to create Docker container images and place them in Amazon ECR.
- Create an Amazon ECS cluster.
- Use the Amazon ECR images to create task definitions and services.
- Implement the services in ECS container instances and adjust instance numbers.
- Register ECS container instances with an Application Load Balancer (ALB).
- Switch from one deployed application to another quickly and with no downtime.
You should be familiar with:
- Basic understanding of local operating system and computer use.
- An understanding of Docker and container concepts is helpful, but not required.
Before completing the Lab instructions the environment will look as follows:
After completing the Lab instructions the environment should look similar to:
Have a look at what you will learn
Follow these steps to learn by building helpful cloud resources
Log In to the Amazon Web Service Console
Your first step to start the Lab experience
Creating the EC2 Container Repository
Create a place to store and reference your Docker images
Building the Docker Images
Use CodeBuild to create and push Docker images
Creating the ECS Cluster
Prepare the compute resources needed for your application
Creating the Task Definitions
Specify Docker images and resource requirements
Creating the Target Group and Load Balancer
Set up a gateway to your containers and applications
Creating the ECS Services
Define how to run your applications
Viewing Instances and Application Message
See your deployed resources and application in action
Updating the Services and Application Deployments
Transition between the blue and green applications with no downtime
Deleting the ECS Laboratory Resources
Delete the applications and deployment resources