The course is part of these learning paths
Amazon ECS Service
This course is an introduction to the Amazon ECS Container Service (ECS). ECS is highly scalable, high performance container management service that supports Docker. This course will provide a detailed introduction to what ECS is and how to get started using it. ECS has built-in support for many Amazon EC2 services and also allows you to customize parts of the infrastructure to meet your application-specific needs. This course will also provide a brief overview of the rich ecosystem that is developing around EC2 including continuous integration, scheduling, and monitoring.
This course is for developers or operation engineers looking to deploy containerized applications on Amazon EC2. Experience with container technology (e.g. Docker) or Amazon EC2 would be helpful, but is not required.
Fundamentals of AWS Learning Path
Introduction to Docker
- Describe the concepts around running Docker containers on Amazon EC2.
- Run and configure containers on EC2
- Understand the ecosystem around EC2 Container Service (ECS) to help guide next steps
This Course Includes:
- Over 45 minutes of high-definition video
- Hands-on demo
What You'll Learn:
- Course Intro: An introduction to what we will be covered in this course.
- EC2 Overview: In this detailed overview we’ll cover task definition, resource allocation, service definition, capacity, load balancing, scheduling, cluster configuration and Security
- EC2 Demo: A hands on demo of the EC2 service.
- AWS Related Services: In this lesson we’ll go through ELB, EBS, and IAM.
- Ecosystem: In this lesson you’ll learn about third part applications and services ecosystems
- Summary: A wrap-up and summary of what we’ve learned in this course.
We've covered a lot of ground in this course. From the context of a fine docker in EC2. To a hands on exploration of the ECS platform. To the rich ecosystem around ECS. Hopefully you learned a lot and are now motivated to dig in to the areas that you are most interested in exploring next.
Some Cloud Academy courses and learning paths that may be of particular interest include any of the AWS learning paths are real useful in particular the Fundamentals of AWS Learning Path is a great place to start. The Docker and Container Technologies Learning Path or any of the other introductory Docker courses. Finally, the DevOps Fundamentals Learning Path is another great area of related exploration.
About the Author
Todd Deshane is a Software Build Engineer at Excelsior College. He previously worked for Citrix Systems as a Xen.org Technology Evangelist. Todd has a Ph.D. in Engineering Science from Clarkson University and while at Clarkson he co-authored a book called Running Xen also published various research papers related to virtualization and other topics. Todd is a DevOps advocate and is passionate about organizational culture.