Backup / DR / BC
This course provides an introductory tour of Azure Storage Solutions such as its SQL offerings (SQL DB and third-party offerings of MySQL), managed NoSQL databases (DocumentDB and MongoDB), managed Redis Cache service, Azure Backup (backup-as-a-service), Site Recovery (for handling disaster recovery) and StorSimple (a hybrid cloud storage solution).
- Understand what SQL DB is and how to get started using it
- Learn the options offered by Azure for managed MySQL
- Understand what DocumentDB and MongoDB are and how to get started using them
- Learn what Redis Cache is and some cases of when you would use it
- Get an understanding of what Azure Search provides
- Learn how Azure Backup can solve common backup needs
- Understand what role Site Recovery can play in disaster recovery
- Learn how StorSimple can extend your on-premise storage capacity
- This course is for developers or IT professionals looking for an introduction to Azure’s Storage Solutions
- Some familiarity with the Azure platform is helpful, but not required
- Course Introduction
- Azure SQL Database
- What is Azure SQL Database?
- Understanding the service tiers
- Create a SQL Database
- What is a Data Throughput Unit (DTU)?
- Scaling Azure SQL
- Options for Using MySQL in Azure
- Azure CosmosDB DocumentDB API
- What is DocumentDB?
- Azure CosmosDB MongoDB API
- Options for Using MongoDB in Azure
- How does DocumentDB compare to MongoDB?
- Azure Redis Cache
- What is Azure Redis Cache?
- Common scenarios for using Redis Cache
- Understanding the service tiers
- How does Redis work?
- Create and manage a Redis Cache
- Scaling Azure Redis Cache
- Azure Search
- What is Azure Search?
- Indexes and Search Features
- How do you use the Search Service?
- Create a Search Service and Index
- Azure Backup
- What is Azure Backup?
- Backup Scenarios
- Import/Export Service
- What is the Import/Export Service?
- Why would you use Import/Export?
- Site Recovery
- What is Site Recovery?
- Workload recovery scenarios
- What is StorSimple?
- How does StorSimple work?
- Course Summary
- Conclusion and Wrap-Up
Welcome back, it is now time to look at some of the highlights of the products we've covered.
SQL Database and MySQL.
This was a look at a couple of relational databases.
They both can run in Azure on a VM and they are also both available as database as a service in Azure
One cool thing with the ClearDB MySQL option is it has a free level.
SQL Database can easily scale up and down and has a lot of additional features in the portal that are not in SQL Server 2016.
And as of May 2017, Microsoft has a managed version of my MySQL in public preview.
DocumentDB and MongoDB are both NoSQL databases designed for JSON.
Both are available as a service in Azure under the CosmosDB product.
MongoDB can run in a virtual machine in Azure.
DocumentDB can be queried using SQL.
MongoDB has been around longer and has drivers available in languages that DocumentDB doesn’t.
Redis Cache is an in-memory store and can easily be used as a distributed Session state provider.
It can also be used as a backplane to SignalR and used as a publish/subscribe message broker.
We also learned the premium tier has a lot of features the other levels don't have.
Azure search is search as a service.
It easily integrates data from SQL Database, DocumentDB, blob storage and table storage.
Applications will need to use an SDK or call the search service using REST calls to get the results.
And besides searching, the results can be ordered, paged and have the hits highlighted.
Backup as a service provides offsite backup.
You can seed the backup offline with the import/export service.
The Backup service uses a few different agents and services depending on the backup need.
Azure Backup Agent, Azure Backup Server and Data Protection Manager.
The import/export service is a way to import or export large amounts of data by shipping hard drives to the data center.
It works well for initial seeding of backups to save you bandwidth.
Site recovery is disaster recovery as a service.
It can help you orchestrate the order systems are recovered in as well as run scripts during the recovery.
Site Recovery makes it easy to test your recovery plans and failover.
It is also a good tool to use in migrating to Azure, between Azure regions or from AWS Windows machines to Azure.
StorSimple is a hybrid cloud storage solution that seamlessly expands your data capacity.
It uses heat maps of your data and stores unused data in Azure.
It also provides a backup solution for the data and saves the backups in the cloud.
I hope this tour of Data and Storage & Backup products has been useful for you.
Thank you for watching.
Jason Haley is an independent consultant who focuses on Azure and Angular. He has over 20+ years’ experience architecting, designing, developing and delivering software solutions using mostly Microsoft technologies. Jason recently achieved his MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure certification in May 2017 (by passing all of the 70-532, 70-533 and 70-534 exams). He is also a Microsoft Azure MVP and leads the North Boston Azure User Group. He frequently speaks at community events on topics relating to Azure.