Backup / DR / BC
This course provides an introductory tour of Azure Storage Solutions such as its SQL offerings (SQL DB and third-party offerings of MySQL), managed NoSQL databases (DocumentDB and MongoDB), managed Redis Cache service, Azure Backup (backup-as-a-service), Site Recovery (for handling disaster recovery) and StorSimple (a hybrid cloud storage solution).
- Understand what SQL DB is and how to get started using it
- Learn the options offered by Azure for managed MySQL
- Understand what DocumentDB and MongoDB are and how to get started using them
- Learn what Redis Cache is and some cases of when you would use it
- Get an understanding of what Azure Search provides
- Learn how Azure Backup can solve common backup needs
- Understand what role Site Recovery can play in disaster recovery
- Learn how StorSimple can extend your on-premise storage capacity
- This course is for developers or IT professionals looking for an introduction to Azure’s Storage Solutions.
- Some familiarity with the Azure platform is helpful, but not required.
- Course Introduction
- Azure SQL Database
- What is Azure SQL Database?
- Understanding the service tiers
- Create a SQL Database
- What is a Data Throughput Unit (DTU)?
- Scaling Azure SQL
- Options for Using MySQL in Azure
- Azure CosmosDB DocumentDB API
- What is DocumentDB?
- Azure CosmosDB MongoDB API
- Options for Using MongoDB in Azure
- How does DocumentDB compare to MongoDB?
- Azure Redis Cache
- What is Azure Redis Cache?
- Common scenarios for using Redis Cache
- Understanding the service tiers
- How does Redis work?
- Create and manage a Redis Cache
- Scaling Azure Redis Cache
- Azure Search
- What is Azure Search?
- Indexes and Search Features
- How do you use the Search Service?
- Create a Search Service and Index
- Azure Backup
- What is Azure Backup?
- Backup Scenarios
- Import/Export Service
- What is the Import/Export Service?
- Why would you use Import/Export?
- Site Recovery
- What is Site Recovery?
- Workload recovery scenarios
- What is StorSimple?
- How does StorSimple work?
- Course Summary
- Conclusion and Wrap-Up
Ok, this will be a quick look at the import export job.
Starting with the new button, I'll search for Import Export Job. I'll select the first item returned and click Create.
This opens the blade that will allow you to create either an import job or an export job.
Let's look at import. I’ll give it a name, leave the subscription as the default, choose to use an existing resource group and click ok.
This takes you to the next step where you would need to upload the journal file and you can choose the storage locations where you want the data loaded to. But I'll just exit out of this blade since I'm not really shipping a drive.
That’s mostly import, lets look at export next. I’ll need to exit out of here and then create another one.
Choose export this time, give it a name, leave the subscription and choose the existing resource group and click ok.
Ok, since this is export, I would choose the location of the data I would want exported. So the storage location and I’d choose what I wanted exported and click ok.
This is where I could enter the information about the carrier – FedEx. So I’ll just exit out of here.
That should give you an idea of how to create an import or export job in the portal.
Here are some links you may find useful form more detail on the Import/Export Service.
Next, we will look at is Site Recovery.
Jason Haley is an independent consultant who focuses on Azure and Angular. He has over 20+ years’ experience architecting, designing, developing and delivering software solutions using mostly Microsoft technologies. Jason recently achieved his MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure certification in May 2017 (by passing all of the 70-532, 70-533 and 70-534 exams). He is also a Microsoft Azure MVP and leads the North Boston Azure User Group. He frequently speaks at community events on topics relating to Azure.