Intrusion Detection and Prevention
The course is part of these learning paths
In this course, we will discuss the fundamentals of intrusion detection and prevention on Amazon Web Services. We will explore the difference between IDS and IPS, and the difference between host-based intrusion prevention, and network-based Intrusion prevention. We’ll also discuss the various AWS architectures, how do you place an IPS, how do you write rules, how do you respond to the incidents that have been detected, and finally the partner solutions available for intrusion prevention with Amazon web services.
- This course is for developers or operations engineers looking to deploy security solutions applications in production AWS platform
- People studying for the AWS Security Specialty Certification exam
- Implementation experience with enterprise security packages
- Familiarity with industry compliance and security standards including PCI DSS, ISO 27001, HIPAA, and NIST
- Experience of architectures meeting industry standards such as SAS70, SOC1, FISMA, etc.
- Fundamental understanding of TCP/IP protocols and packet analysis
- Recognize and explain the basics of Intrusion detection/prevention
- Recognize and explain best practices in designing intrusion detection/prevention architecture
- Recognize and explain the different types of rules that can be written
- Recognize and explain core concepts of Incident response
- Recognize and be able to implement how to go about writing rules
- Gain an introduction to the various partner solutions available for IDS/IPS on AWS
This Course Includes
35 minutes of high-definition video.
What You'll Learn
- Course Intro: What to expect from this course:
- Fundamentals of Intrusion Detection and Preventions: In this lesson, we’ll define intrusion detection, and discuss AWS responsibility for security in the cloud, firewalls, and alerts.
- IDS/IPS in Detail: In this lesson, we’ll dig deeper into the system architecture associated with IDS/IPS.
- Rule Writing: In this lesson, we’ll go through rule options.
- Responding to Incidents: In this lesson, we’ll look at how incidents are detected and the process for responding to them.
- Architecting IDS/IPS for AWS: In this lesson, we’ll look at the various flavors of AWS architectures available and how we will architect the location and the placement of IDS and IPS devices in these architectures.
- Administering and Managing the IDS/IPS: In this lesson, we’ll spend some time talking about some best practices in administering and managing your IDS and IPS.
- Partner Solutions: In this lesson, we’ll look at the partners who offer IPS.
- Conclusion: A summary and review of what you have learned.
All right now let's look at some partner solutions for AWS. Because the IPS itself is not available as part of the AWS services so there are several partners who offer traffic analysis features bundled in with their product offering. So it's very rare to see an IPS standalone these days. So these are some of the products that can be used to analyze the traffic. So I encourage you to go to the AWS marketplace and search for possible partners that you could work with. And like I said, Check Point's a firewall but it also comes with an IPS. So go ahead and I encourage you to look at the site, and find the right partner for you.
About the Author
Vish Chidambaram is an Award-winning Enterprise Security Leader with 18+ years of experience skilled in areas spanning Automation, Security Operation Analytics and Reporting, Threat Management Life cycle, Agile/DevOps environments, SaaS/Cloud security, Business Development/Consulting, Program Management and more. Most Recently Vish was the CISO at Rubicon Project, which is a SaaS based ad marketplace where he was responsible for securing a high performance SaaS platform with 40billion transactiions per day. He pioneered the integration of security in DevOps, by using automation, orchestration and machine learning tools He is passionate about teaching security and believes staying current is particularly relevant in the security industry. He also mentors security professionals and advises them thru career transitions. and details can be found at datacoreacademy.com or writing to email@example.com His linked in page is https://www.linkedin.com/in/vish-chidambaram/