Connecting to the Virtual Machine using EC2 Instance Connect
In this lab step, you will connect to an EC2 instance using EC2 Instance Connect and access a shell.
1. In the AWS Management Console search bar, enter EC2, and click the EC2 result under Services:
2. To see available instances, click Instances in the left-hand menu:
The instances list page will open, and you will see an instance named cloudacademylabs:
If you don't see a running instance then the lab environment is still loading. Wait until the Instance state is Running.
3. Right-click the cloudacademylabs instance, and click Connect:
The Connect to your instance form will load.
4. In the form, ensure the EC2 Instance Connect tab is selected:
You will see the instance's Instance ID and Public IP address displayed.
5. In the User name textbox, enter ec2-user:
6. To open a browser-based shell, click Connect:
If you see an error it's likely that the environment hasn't finished setting up. Check for Setup completed at the top-left corner of the lab and try connecting again:
A browser-based shell will open in a new window ready for you to use.
Keep this window open, you will use it in later lab steps.
You can also connect to the instance using your preferred SSH client and the PPK (Windows) or PEM (Mac/Linux) key files in the Credentials section of this lab.