The hands-on lab is part of these learning pathsSee 2 more
Ready for the real environment experience?
Google Compute Engine (GCE) is a high-performance and scalable service that allows you to deploy virtual machines in the cloud. No matter how big your project is, Compute Engine automatically scales from one instance to thousands with the help of load-balancers. Compute Engine's VM instances boot quickly, come with persistent disk storage, and deliver consistent performance. Compute Engine also offers you discounts. The more compute resources you use, the more the discount that will be applied to your account billing.
This lab will show you two methods for connecting to Linux VM instances over SSH. The first method uses SSH keys managed by Google and is established completely within your web browser. The second method involves creating a custom SSH key pair (public and private key) and attaching the public key to the VM in the Google Cloud environment.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Connect to Linux VM instances by using a browser-based SSH connection (SSH from the Browser)
- Generating/uploading a custom SSH key for instances
- Connect to Linux instances by using custom SSH keys
This Lab is intended for:
- Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer (ACE) certification candidates
- Individuals that are new to Google Cloud or Google Compute Engine (GCE) and want to learn more about how to interact with a Linux instance
- GCP users interested in using self-managed SSH keys
This Lab has no prerequisites.
February 14th, 2021 - Clarified instructions for generating an SSH key with no passphrase
Stefano studies Computer Science and is passionate about technology. He loves working with Cloud services and learning all the best practices for them. Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services are the cloud providers he prefers. He is a Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer. Node.js is the programming language he always uses to code. When he's not involved in studying or working, Stefano loves riding his motorbike and exploring new places.