- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
Data security is an important consideration for anyone storing data in the cloud. Encrypting data at rest ensures that anyone gaining access to disks storing your data can only view it in encrypted format making it useless to attackers. There are several encryption at rest mechanisms that are supported by Amazon S3 object data storage. This lab focuses on Server-Side Encryption with CMKs Stored in AWS Key Management Service (SSE-KMS). This approach gives you control of the master key that generates data keys used by S3 performing encrypt and decrypt operations.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of SSE-KMS and when to use it
- Create customer-managed customer master keys (CMKs) in AWS Key Management Service (KMS)
- Use SSE-KMS encryption of objects at rest in S3 buckets
- Enforce that all objects in an S3 bucket are encrypted using SSE-KMS and if desired, requiring a specific CMK for the encryption
This lab is intended for:
- Anyone interested in data security in AWS
You should be familiar with:
- Basic S3 concepts including buckets and objects
- Knowledge of the available encryption options for S3 is beneficial but not required. You can complete the Understanding S3 encryption mechanisms to secure your data course to gain this knowledge
April 25th, 2022 - Updated the instructions and screenshots to reflect the latest UI
February 3rd, 2020 - Added a validation check to test the CMK is created
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS), Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.