Ready for the real environment experience?
This is a long-running lab that you can pause for up to 1 hour
up to 1h
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) lets you provision a logically isolated section of the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud where you can launch AWS resources in a virtual network that you define. You have complete control over your virtual networking environment, including the selection of your own IP address range, creation of subnets, and configuration of route tables and network gateways. This hands-on lab guides you through the creation of a VPC and some of its common sub-resources.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Use the AWS Management Console to create a VPC
- Use the AWS Management Console to create resources that work with Amazon VPC, including a subnet and an internet gateway
- Configure routing for your VPC using a route table
- Create and manage an EC2 instance and an associated Elastic IP Address (EIP) within your VPC
This lab is meant for:
- Those preparing for AWS certification
- Professionals who aim to manage networking and private resources within AWS
You should be familiar with:
- Some familiarity with basic networking principles is helpful but not required
- Some familiarity with the AWS Management Console is helpful but not required
October 17th, 2022 - Updated the instructions and screenshots to reflect the latest UI
April 14th, 2022 - Minor update to VPC creation to reflect latest user interface changes
January 24th, 2022 - Updated the instructions and screenshots to reflect the latest UI
September 17, 2021 - Updated instructions to match AWS interface labels
February 7th, 2020 - Updated instructions to clarify where the ping commands should be issued
June 24th, 2019 - Updated the format of the lab to improve quality
November 27th, 2018 - Added a validation lab step to check the work you perform in the Lab
May 14th, 2018 - Updated images and instructions to reflect user interface changes
Matt has worked for multiple Fortune 500 companies as a DevOps Engineer and Solutions Architect. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, and an AWS Certified Solution Architect - Associate. He enjoys reading and learning new technologies.