The hands-on lab is part of these learning paths
Ready for the real environment experience?
Terraform allows you to safely manage your infrastructure by modifying configuration files. Terraform will show you an execution plan that you must approve before any infrastructure changes are applied. This Lab highlights several capabilities of Terraform that make managing infrastructure easy. You will learn how to import existing resources, understand configuration file interpolation syntax to reference resource attributes, and use variables to generalize configuration while you manage AWS resources with Terraform.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Import existing resources into Terraform
- Use interpolation syntax to reference resource attributes in configurations
- Use variables to parameterize Terraform configurations
- Understand Terraform's concept of state
You should be familiar with:
- Working at the command-line in Linux
- Amazon VPC and EC2 basics
- Basic Terraform concepts such as resources, and state. It is highly recommended to complete the Create AWS Resources with Terraform Lab before attempting this Lab.
Before completing the Lab instructions, the environment will look as follows:
After completing the Lab instructions, the environment should look similar to:
August 28th, 2020 - Updated the SSH instructions to reflect the new EC2 user interface
January 10th, 2019 - Added a validation Lab Step to check the work you perform in the Lab
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.