- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
When you build a cloud infrastructure, you might have anywhere from a small to a large number of resources. Checking the needed parameters for each resource that you have into your cloud environment could become hard. That's where monitoring can help you organize and handle the metrics and checks for your resources. Cloud Monitoring is a Google Cloud service that collects metrics, events, and metadata from your Google Cloud environment. Google Monitoring automatically detects all the resources that you are running into your cloud infrastructure and provides you rich visualization tools to work with. By using Cloud Monitoring, you can create dashboards with metrics that you need, create checks on critical resources, and create alerts triggered when certain events happen. In this lab, you will work in a GCP environment where you will find an existent Compute Engine instance to work with. You will install the Cloud Monitoring agent and then start practicing with Cloud Monitoring. You will create an uptime check and an alert policy triggered when the uptime check fails. You will also create a chart with the CPU metrics of your Compute Engine instance.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Create an uptime check for your resources
- Define an alert policy that will advise you when certain events happen
- Handle the Cloud Monitoring dashboard to create a chart that will show you the CPU metrics of the instance
This lab is intended for:
- Google Cloud Professional Cloud Developer (PCD) certification candidates
- Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer (ACE) certification candidates
- Solutions architects who want to better understand the core concepts of Cloud Monitoring
Basic knowledge of Compute Engine instances is a plus but it's not required.
May 2nd, 2022 - Updated the instructions and screenshots to reflect the latest UI
Stefano studies Computer Science and is passionate about technology. He loves working with Cloud services and learning all the best practices for them. Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services are the cloud providers he prefers. He is a Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer. Node.js is the programming language he always uses to code. When he's not involved in studying or working, Stefano loves riding his motorbike and exploring new places.