- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
Structured Query Language (SQL) is a standard language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data in databases. SQL lends itself well to intuitive and clearly-defined databases, because it uses a system to create relationships among its data sets that is relatively easy to get started with. Companies use SQL when they have a need to store, update and serve data with clearly-defined relationships or using mature, proven technology.
In this lab, you will practice the basics of SQL by connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server instance and then creating, managing and viewing data using a combination of user interface tools and SQL queries.
Take in mind that if you end the session (or it terminates due to timeout) all your progress will be lost.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Understand the principles of SQL
- Navigate within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Create databases, tables and rows using SQL syntax
- Insert and view data in tables
This lab is intended for:
- Prospective developers, data scientists and database engineers
- Anyone who needs the ability to store, edit and view data
- Anyone interested in full-stack, backend or website development
You should be familiar with:
- Familiarity with the Azure Portal is helpful but not required
- A basic understanding of SQL is helpful but not required
April 12th, 2021 - Moved validation checks to the most relevant lab step for more immediate validation feedback
January 25th, 2021 - Upgrade underlying instance size for better performance
August 24th, 2020 - Updated the lab to use in-browser Remote Desktop to streamline the lab experience
March 13th, 2020 - Updated the lab's SQL license and validation steps
October 14th, 2019 - Resolved an issue that caused the lab's validation to fail to accurately assess the lab
Matt has worked for multiple Fortune 500 companies as a DevOps Engineer and Solutions Architect. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, and an AWS Certified Solution Architect - Associate. He enjoys reading and learning new technologies.