- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
Thousands of applications nowadays are deployed in the cloud. Both frontend and backend applications require high availability, autoscaling, and fault tolerance. Because of these strategic features, Google Cloud provides you sub-services inside Compute Engine that will allow you to deploy and manage an application through the Compute Engine VMs, that will apply to the previous features. The most important ones are Instance Template and Instance Groups. With the first one, you can create an instance template that represents all the specifics that each VM running your application needs to have (such as the OS, the disk, and network); by using the second one, you can create a group of VMs and, optionally, set up autoscaling. You will create a managed instance group. It means that all the instances inside that group need to run the same instance template.
In this lab, you will create an instance template, an instance group with the autoscaling enabled, and you will then attach an HTTP load balancer to the instance group to load balance the traffic to the VM group. You will also perform a stress test to check that the autoscaling is working properly.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Create an instance template and a managed instance group
- Attach an HTTP load balancer to an instance group
- Perform a stress test inside a VM
This lab is intended for:
- Google Cloud Professional Cloud Architect (PCA) and Google Cloud Associate Cloud Engineer (ACE) certification candidates
- Solutions architects who need to deploy and maintain an application architecture that requires high availability and autoscaling
- Individuals who want to deep learn how to set up an application infrastructure on Compute Engine
Basic knowledge of Compute Engine is preferred but not required. You can follow these two labs related to this topic:
- Starting a Linux Virtual Machine on Google Compute Engine
- Starting a Windows Virtual Machine on Google Compute Engine
March 22nd, 2022 - Updated UI and screenshots for accuracy
Stefano studies Computer Science and is passionate about technology. He loves working with Cloud services and learning all the best practices for them. Google Cloud Platform and Amazon Web Services are the cloud providers he prefers. He is a Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer. Node.js is the programming language he always uses to code. When he's not involved in studying or working, Stefano loves riding his motorbike and exploring new places.