Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS)
Elastic Load Balancing
Managing SSL certificates using AWS Certificate Manager
AWS EC2 Auto Scaling Lifecycle Hooks
The course is part of this learning path
Let’s summarize what we just learned.
- Auto Scaling Lifecycle hooks can help manage both startup and cleanup tasks during launch and termination of your ec2 instances respectively.
- If all you need is to be informed of these events and you don’t need to take any actions, instead of lifecycle hooks you can use EventBridge ( formerly CloudWatch Events ) to send notifications, start a Lambda function or any other event that you want to trigger outside of your EC2 instance.
- You can keep your Auto Scaling group notified of your tasks during a Lifecycle hook in order to prevent timeouts and to notify completion or failure of your task
If you’ll be sitting the AWS DevOps Professional Exam, here are a few exam tips for you regarding Auto Scaling Lifecycle hooks:
- Lifecycle hooks are associated with the Auto Scaling Group and NOT the Launch Template
- You may be asked to provide solutions involving preserving data prior to termination of an instance and also around instances placed in service too early and failing health checks. These should be mental triggers for you to remember this lesson
- Also, Remember the name of the states that your EC2 instance will be placed into during Lifecycle hooks, as well as the name of the notifications that you send back to your auto-scaling group when your tasks are completed.
- Very important to avoid confusing “launching” and “terminating” hooks with warm up and cool down periods which are also properties of auto scaling groups.
I hope this was helpful to you and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out, my name is Carlos and I will talk to you in the next one!
This course covers the core learning objective to meet the requirements of the 'Designing Compute solutions in AWS - Level 3' skill
- Evaluate and enforce secure communications when using AWS elastic load balancers using HTTPS/SSL listeners
- Evaluate when to use a serverless architecture compared to Amazon EC2 based upon workload performance optimization
- Evaluate how to implement fully managed container orchestration services to deploy, manage, and scale containerized applications
Software Development has been my craft for over 2 decades. In recent years, I was introduced to the world of "Infrastructure as Code" and Cloud Computing.
I loved it! -- it re-sparked my interest in staying on the cutting edge of technology.
Colleagues regard me as a mentor and leader in my areas of expertise and also as the person to call when production servers crash and we need the App back online quickly.
My primary skills are:
★ Software Development ( Java, PHP, Python and others )
★ Cloud Computing Design and Implementation
★ DevOps: Continuous Delivery and Integration