In this course, you will learn how to use AWS Backup to create snapshots and have them available in another region — essentially creating a Disaster Recovery site.
- Have a greater understanding of the AWS Backup service and how it interacts with other services such as EC2, EBS, and RDS
- See how we create a cross-region backup
- Terminology of AWS Backup
- Basic usage
- Creating a Backup Plan
- Enabling and verifying cross-region functionality
- Those who want to understand the basics of the AWS Backup service
- Those ready to tackle the hands-on task of creating EC2 snapshots that could be used to recover from an outage
- Those who manage a fleet of EC2, perhaps along with RDS for their databases
- Have an understanding of the basics of AWS, such as using EC2 for Virtual Machines and RDS for your databases. As long as you understand how those services work at a high level, you should be able to get the most out of this course.
Let's go ahead and summarize what we just learned. AWS Backup is a tool to help you manage all your backups and restore needs from a single location that covers many AWS services, including some on-prem services as well. It also supports cross-region and cross-account backups. Backup's Vaults are encrypted, but if you use a service such as EC2 or RDS, you're already using encryption, that encryption will remain as is. Vault Locking is supported for compliance and governance purposes.
You can have several rules in the same backup plan if you need various combination of time frequencies and retention policies. And finally, AWS Backup is a great tool to set up a simple disaster recovery plan by copying backups to another region and restoring your resources within that region if and when required. I hope this was helpful to you and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out. My name is Carlos and I will talk to you in the next one.
Software Development has been my craft for over 2 decades. In recent years, I was introduced to the world of "Infrastructure as Code" and Cloud Computing.
I loved it! -- it re-sparked my interest in staying on the cutting edge of technology.
Colleagues regard me as a mentor and leader in my areas of expertise and also as the person to call when production servers crash and we need the App back online quickly.
My primary skills are:
★ Software Development ( Java, PHP, Python and others )
★ Cloud Computing Design and Implementation
★ DevOps: Continuous Delivery and Integration