Windows Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) is a leading identity management solution for organizations of all sizes. At the core of Windows AD DS is the domain controller. The domain controller provides login services, group policies, domain naming services (DNS), and other identity management services for users and computers in a domain along with other enterprise management services.
In this course, we start by reviewing the Windows AD DS environment including forests and domains. Then we review considerations for deploying domain controllers in a virtualized environment, on-premises, and in Azure. Next, we look at use cases for deploying read-only domain controllers at locations where physical security cannot be guaranteed. Lastly, we examine flexible single master operations roles and how to locate and move them to support troubleshooting efforts.
- Deploy and manage domain controllers on-premises
- Deploy and manage domain controllers in Azure
- Deploy read-only domain controllers (RODCs)
- View, manage, and troubleshoot flexible single master operations (FSMO) roles
- System administrators with responsibilities for managing hybrid identities
- Subject matter experts in configuring and managing Active Directory workload on-premises and in Azure
- Anyone preparing for the Azure AZ-800 Administering Windows Server Hybrid Core Infrastructure exam
- A basic understanding of deploying and managing Microsoft Windows servers
- Windows Server installation media and an environment to run Windows Server (trial available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2022)
Hello and welcome to the course on Deploying and Managing Active Directory Domain Services Domain Controllers. My name is Travis Roberts, I'm an Azure Solutions Architect Expert, Microsoft certified trainer and Microsoft MVP with over 20 years experience with Microsoft infrastructure. I'm excited to get started on this journey to learn about hybrid environments with Windows Active Directory.
In this course, you will learn how to deploy and manage domain controllers on-premises, deploy and manage domain controllers in Azure, deploy read-only domain controllers and view, manage, and troubleshoot Flexible Single Master Operation roles. Coming up, we get started with an overview of Active Directory domain services, domains, and forests. Then we move on to creating domain controllers in a virtual environment. We start on-premises, then move on to special requirements of deploying domain controllers in Azure. After that, we review instances that require a read-only domain controller and walk through the steps to deploy one. Next, we review a Flexible Single Master Operations roles in Windows AD. How to identify servers with these special roles and how to move the roles to support troubleshooting efforts.
Thank you for taking this course. Please don't forget to rate this course when you finish, your feedback is greatly appreciated. I look forward to seeing you in the next lecture to get started.
Travis Roberts is a Cloud Infrastructure Architect at a Minneapolis consulting firm, a Microsoft MVP, MCT, and author. Travis has 20 years of IT experience in the legal, pharmaceutical, and marketing industries and has worked with IT hardware manufacturers and managed service providers. In addition, Travis has held numerous technical certifications throughout his career from Microsoft, VMware, Citrix, and Cisco.