File and Directory Permissions
The course is part of this learning path
This course covers the security features that you can use in order to secure your files and directories on Linux. We look at permissions, data sharing, special modes, file attributes, ACLs, and rootkits. You will also have the chance to follow along with guided demonstrations which will give you a practical understanding of the concepts covered.
- Learn how Linux file and directory permissions work and how to apply the proper permissions to files and directories
- Learn how to share data securely with groups and multiple users on a Linux system
- Understand how special modes add extra security to file systems
- Learn how to make files unchangeable even by the root user and how to secure the log files on a Linux system by making them append-only
- Learn how to secure files and directories using ACLs
- Learn about rootkits and how to discover and remove them
This course is intended for anyone who wants to understand how to secure their Linux systems.
To get the most out of this course, you should already have a good working knowledge of Linux. If you want to brush up on your Linux skills, consider taking our Learn Linux in 5 Days learning path first.
It's important to understand exactly how Linux permissions work. Using improper or overly broad permissions can create security issues. The next two videos give you a good and thorough understanding of how Linux permissions work on a system. If you've been using Linux for quite some time, you can skip over these videos. However, it might be a good refresher, even if you're already familiar with Linux file and directory permissions.
Jason is the founder of the Linux Training Academy as well as the author of "Linux for Beginners" and "Command Line Kung Fu." He has over 20 years of professional Linux experience, having worked for industry leaders such as Hewlett-Packard, Xerox, UPS, FireEye, and Amazon.com. Nothing gives him more satisfaction than knowing he has helped thousands of IT professionals level up their careers through his many books and courses.