Amazon Internet of Things Service Overview
Using the Service
This is an introductory course for the Amazon Internet of Things (IoT) service. In this course, we will define and discuss the concept of the Internet of Things. We will define telemetry and how it relates to the Amazon Internet of Things service. Next we will define and discuss the Amazon Internet of Things or “IoT” service. We will talk about the benefits of the service. Then we will talk about the Amazon IoT service features. Next, we will talk about why we would use the Amazon Internet of Things service. And finally, we will discuss how to locate IoT service in the AWS console and describe the basic steps for setting it up.
This is a beginner level course intended for anyone who is interested in learning the basics about the Amazon Internet of Things Service. Before attending this course, you may want to attend the “Benefits of Cloud Computing," and “Fundamentals of AWS” Learning Paths, or attend the “What is Cloud Computing?” and “Technical Fundamentals of AWS” courses. While these are not required to attend this course, they include helpful concepts that might make the content of this course a little easier to understand.
- Describe the features and benefits of the Amazon Internet of Things service.
- Explain when to use the Amazon Internet of Things service.
- Locate the IoT service option in the AWS console and discuss how to configure it.
- Give examples of use case scenarios for Amazon Internet of Things service.
This Course Includes:
- AWS Internet of Things overview
- AWS Internet of things use-case scenario
What You'll Learn:
- Course Intro: What to expect from this course.
- Course Terminology: Definition of terms related to the Amazon Internet of Things service.
- Amazon Internet of Things (IoT) Service Overview: An overview of the Amazon IoT service including features and benefits of the service.
- Service Components: An overview of the Amazon IoT service components: Device SDK, Device Security, Device Gateway, Registry, Rules Engine, and Device Shadows.
- Using the Service: A use-case scenario for the Amazon IoT service.
- Course Summary: A summary of what was learned in the course.
Now that we've covered some of the basic concepts of this service, let's take a look at how to use the Amazon IoT Service.
How do we find the Amazon Internet of Things service? It can be found in the AWS Management Console at aws.amazon.com. Once you log in to the console, look for the Internet of Things option, and select AWS IoT. From the Internet of Things Management Console, you will connect and manage your devices, process and act upon device data, and read and set device state at any time.
Let's look at an example of how a homeowner can activate and deactivate their entire home lighting system with a simple click of their AWS IoT button. In this example, the AWS IoT button is connected to your Wi-Fi network and is registered as a device within the AWS IoT Service. Clicking the button triggers the AWS IoT Rules Engine to invoke a custom AWS Lambda Function, which, in turn, integrates with If This Then That, which is configured to control the Phillips Hue home lighting system. Now that your AWS IoT button is configured, you attach it to your keychain, and when you arrive home in the evening, you click the IoT button, and hey, presto! You walk into a well-lit, inviting home.
About the Author
Sarah is an educator and instructional designer. She started her career doing computer training, Microsoft Certified training, then telephony training for a local Indianapolis start up. She has a passion for helping others to learn and writing engaging content. When she is not working, she loves to travel with her family, walk her dog, or curl up somewhere with a good book.