This course explores Amazon Cognito and how it can be used to manage authentication and authorization to your apps. We'll start with a general overview of Amazon Cognito and when to use it. Then we move on to user pools and identity pools. We round off the course by looking at how Amazon Cognito can be integrated with mobile and web apps and how to sync your app's user data across various platforms.
- Create your own authentication mechanisms using Amazon Cognito
- Create your own customized UI for user sign in
- Create a secure user directory for all your applications and users
This course is intended for anyone who is trying to understand what mechanisms are available for user authentication within AWS and specifically, those who want to use third-party identity providers, such as Apple, Facebook, Google, and Amazon.
- A decent understanding of cloud computing and cloud architectures, specifically with Amazon Web Services
- Familiarity with basic security terminology, IAM, user authentication, and federation
- It is helpful to know about Active Directory and other AD type services
The Basics, at its core, Amazon Cognito is an authentication and user management service. It has a strong integration with third-party identity providers such as Apple, Facebook, Google, and Amazon. It also allows you to federate identities from your own active directory services so that your AD users can have access to your own external web and mobile applications. Amazon Cognito's features can easily be broken down into two different topics, Amazon Cognito User Pools and Amazon Cognito Identity Pools. Everything else that you can do with the service is derived from these two things. So let's take a look at Amazon Cognito User Pools first and then we can take a look at Identity Pools after.
William Meadows is a passionately curious human currently living in the Bay Area in California. His career has included working with lasers, teaching teenagers how to code, and creating classes about cloud technology that are taught all over the world. His dedication to completing goals and helping others is what brings meaning to his life. In his free time, he enjoys reading Reddit, playing video games, and writing books.