The hands-on lab is part of these learning paths
Ready for the real environment experience?
Azure Backup is a service for backing up your data in Azure. You can back up Linux and Windows VMs running in Azure with Azure Backup as well as on-premises servers. Azure Backup can be used for more than just backing up machines but this lab focuses on VM backups.
You will use Azure Backup to back up a Windows Server VM running IIS in this lab. You will configure a backup schedule and retention periods using a backup policy. You will finish by restoring the VM back to an earlier state by performing a restore operation. Along the way you will learn the key concepts of Azure Backup.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Back up and restore virtual machines running in Azure
- Configure backup policies to schedule backups and define data retention periods
- Understand how snapshots are created using an Azure Backup VM extension
- Evaluate the different options available for restoring including in-place instant restores, restore to disks, and restore to new VMs
- Describe the default consistency level for Windows and Linux VMs in Azure Backup
This lab is intended for:
- Azure administrators
- AZ-104 exam candidates
- Anyone responsible for backup and retention of virtual machines
You should be familiar with:
- Azure VM and Storage Account basics
September 17th, 2021 - Updated instructions to reflect the latest portal VM backup and restore experience
March 1st, 2021 - Added more uniqueness to the vault name to avoid an issue where Azure does not properly validate the name uniqueness causing the deployment to fail
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS), Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.