- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
Using Terraform in multiple environments can fall prey to Copy/Paste syndrome, where Terraform code changes are copied back and forth between multiple repositories. This can work for small teams that are diligent at making sure the environments are in sync. But for large teams that require scalable configurations, this can quickly become unmanageable and prone to human error. Terragrunt can be used with version-controlled modules to create infrastructure code that eliminates unnecessary code to allow developers to focus on modifying just the values that matter.
In this lab, you will use Terragrunt to create a development environment from production code by modifying a single file.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Create reusable environments with modules and Terragrunt
- Learn how to create local values in Terragrunt to use throughout child folder configurations
This lab is intended for:
- Individuals familiar with using Terraform and how to deploy resources
- Anyone interested in learning how to use Terragrunt to increase Terraform effectiveness
- Enterprises looking to scale their Terraform codebase
You should be familiar with:
- Cloud Services
- Basic understanding of Terraform modules and variables
- Basic understanding of Terragrunt and keeping remote state DRY
The following course and lab can be used to fulfill the prerequisites:
- Introduction to DevOps
- Creating Reusable Infrastructure with Terraform Modules in Azure
- Using Terraform Remote State in Azure
- Keeping Terraform Remote State DRY with Terragrunt in Azure
- Passing Outputs Between Terraform Modules with Terragrunt in Azure
June 15th, 2022 - Updated lab to resolve environment error issue
June 24th, 2021 - Updated VM Size for the lab to increase resource allocation
Luke is a Site Reliability Engineer at Microsoft. His background is infrastructure development using Terraform and in 2021 he was awarded the HashiCorp Ambassador award. He is an Azure DevOps Engineer Expert, Azure Administrator Associate, and HashiCorp Certified - Terraform Associate.