The hands-on lab is part of this learning path
Ready for the real environment experience?
This Lab provides you with exposure to Primitive Wrappers, Enumerations, and Date Times when developing with the Java programming language. You will be required to complete the following guided coding exercises:
- Exercise 1 - Using Primitive Wrappers: Learn how to convert and compare various primitives to their counterpart primitive wrapper objects.
- Exercise 2 - Working with Enumerations: Declare and use an enumeration to represent a group of related constants
- Exercise 3 - Working with Dates: Develop a Java Swing based UI application which will run on your local workstation to manage dates and times
Note: Each exercise comes with the fully completed solution code when required or assistance is needed.
Upon completion of this Lab, you will be able to:
- Write Java code that can work with primitives and their counterpart primitive wrapper objects
- Make use of Enumerations implement a group of related constants
- Code confidently with date and times
- Install and use Maven to compile and package (JAR) the Java Swing based UI application
- Download and launch a Java Swing based UI application to your local workstation
- Be comfortable with using a browser based IDE
- Have a Java 11 JRE or SDK installed and available on a local workstation - this is required tol aunch a Java Swing based UI application
This Lab will start with the following AWS resources provisioned automatically for you:
- A single EC2 instance, named ide.java.platform.instance, which will have a public IP address attached. This instance will host a web based Java IDE (based on the Visual Code editor).
To achieve the Lab end state, you will be walked through the process of:
- Using you local browser, access the web based Java IDE served from the ide.java.platform.instance
- Completing the 3 lab exercises:
- Exercise 1 - Using Primitive Wrappers
- Exercise 2 - Working with Enumerations
- Exercise 3 - Working with Dates
About the Author
Jeremy is the DevOps Content Lead at Cloud Academy where he specializes in developing technical training documentation for DevOps.
He has a strong background in software engineering, and has been coding with various languages, frameworks, and systems for the past 20+ years. In recent times, Jeremy has been focused on DevOps, Cloud, Security, and Machine Learning.
Jeremy holds professional certifications for both the AWS and GCP cloud platforms.