The hands-on lab is part of this learning path
Ready for the real environment experience?
Python 3 is a highly productive scripting language that can be used in almost all use cases.
This Lab is designed to introduce you to the basics of coding with Python. You'll also be shown the different approaches to invoking and executing Python scripts. You will be required to complete each of the following Python coding exercises:
- Exercise 1 - HelloWorld: Complete the code required to work with and manipulate string variables, printing out messages to the console. Additionally, you will be shown the different methods available to launching your python code
- Exercise 2 - LaunchExternalProgram: Complete the code required to launch the local netstat command using the operating system services within the os Python module, printing out local network connection stats
- Exercise 3 - Traversal: Complete the code required to perform a folder and file traversal using the operating system services within the os Python module, printing out the size of each file discovered
Note: Each exercise has a provided solution to consult with when needed.
Upon completion of this Lab, you will be able to:
- Write Python script that creates string variables and manipulates strings
- Write Python script that prints out to the console
- Understand the different approaches to launching a Python script
- Use the terminal to launch and debug Python scripts
- Be comfortable with using a browser based IDE
This Lab will start with the following AWS resources provisioned automatically for you:
- A single EC2 instance, named ide.python.platform.instance, which will have a public IP address attached. This instance will host a web based Python IDE (based on the Visual Code editor).
To achieve the Lab end state, you will be walked through the process of:
- Using you local browser, access the web based Java IDE served from the ide.python.platform.instance
- Completing the following lab exercises:
- Exercise 1 - HelloWorld
- Exercise 2 - LaunchExternalProgram
- Exercise 3 - Traversal
About the Author
Jeremy is the DevOps Content Lead at Cloud Academy where he specializes in developing technical training documentation for DevOps.
He has a strong background in software engineering, and has been coding with various languages, frameworks, and systems for the past 20+ years. In recent times, Jeremy has been focused on DevOps, Cloud, Security, and Machine Learning.
Jeremy holds professional certifications for both the AWS and GCP cloud platforms.