Ready for the real environment experience?
Structured Query Language (SQL) is a standard language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data in databases. SQL lends itself well to intuitive and clearly-defined databases, because it uses a system to create relationships among its data sets that is relatively easy to get started with. Companies use SQL when they have a need to store, update and serve data with clearly-defined relationships or using mature, proven technology.
In this lab, you will practice the basics of SQL by connecting to a Microsoft SQL Server instance and then creating, managing and viewing data using a combination of user interface tools and SQL queries.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Understand the principles of SQL
- Navigate within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Create databases, tables and rows using SQL syntax
- Insert and view data in tables
This lab is intended for:
- Prospective developers, data scientists and database engineers
- Anyone who needs the ability to store, edit and view data
- Anyone interested in full-stack, backend or website development
You should be familiar with:
- Familiarity with the Azure Portal is helpful but not required
- A basic understanding of SQL is helpful but not required
March 13th, 2020 - Updated the lab's SQL license and validation steps
October 14th, 2019 - Resolved an issue that caused the lab's validation to fail to accurately assess the lab
About the Author
Matt has worked for multiple Fortune 500 companies as a DevOps Engineer and Solutions Architect. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, and an AWS Certified Solution Architect - Associate. He enjoys reading and learning new technologies.