Simplifying Password Reset Using Microsoft Entra ID Self-Service Password Reset
Microsoft has currently disabled new registrations for the MS 365 Dev program. For the time being, please treat the lab as read-only or bring your own MS 365 account. Our team is currently working on an update, thank you for your understanding.
Support teams are regularly hit with password reset requests which can delay how quickly a user can regain access to their locked account or simply reset their password. Leaving password resetting to support teams also puts the onus on them to authenticate their users before fulfilling their requests. With Microsoft Entra ID Self-Service Password Reset, the onus can be placed on the user to prove their identity before safely resetting the password of their account.
In this lab, you will enable self-service password reset so that users can self-authenticate with Microsoft Entra ID to reset their own passwords.
Note: Due to this lab requiring the creation of a Microsoft 365 organization with an Admin Center, if you don't already have one you will need to provide a mobile phone number to pass the account creation process.
Upon completion of this lab, you will be able to:
- Enable Self-Service Password Reset to allow users to easily unlock their accounts or reset their password
- Students who are studying for the SC-900 (Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals) Certification Exam
- IT teams interested in reducing help desk/administrator workload
- Security Administrators interested in removing additional security layers that could be compromised (help desk)
- Familiarity with Microsoft Entra ID
- An understanding of identity management concepts
Adil is a Microsoft Certified Trainer, former Azure Engineer, and loves all things Azure. He is a certified Azure Administrator and Azure DevOps Expert and has worked for some of the biggest MSPs in the world (Cognizant, New Signature, CoreAzure). He loves to combine his two passions: cloud and teaching.
Adil specializes in Azure Infrastructure services and has a curiosity for new, in-preview services from Azure, getting his hands familiar with the content before most of the world does. Outside of work, Adil helps run a growing community of IT professionals looking to break into the cloud and regularly runs workshops and webinars.