- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
Microsoft Azure is comprised of compute infrastructure and cloud services that Information Technology (IT) professionals and developers use to build, deploy and manage their applications. This is a beginner level Lab that focuses on the Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) component of Azure. The legacy model of IT includes purchasing, shipping, receiving, configuring, and booting up your infrastructure. In this Lab, you will launch your first Linux Virtual Machine (VM) in Azure in minutes… not days or weeks!
- SSH key generation and client software installed on your local machine. (For example, PuTTY and PuTTYgen for Windows users)
- Basic understanding of Information Technology (IT)
Upon completion of this Lab, you will be able to:
- Log in and use the basics of the Microsoft Azure portal
- Generate an RSA key pair for a secure shell (SSH) connection (uses PuTTYgen)
- Configure a Linux VM
- Launch a VM
- Connect to the VM with SSH (via either ssh client (Linux) or PuTTY (Windows))
- Perform basic VM controls (start, stop, restart, delete)
Before completing the Lab instructions, the environment will look as follows:
After completing the Lab instructions, the environment should look similar to:
September 7th, 2021 - Updated instructions and images to reflect the latest portal experience
April 16th, 2021 - Moved validation checks to the most relevant lab step for more immediate validation feedback
December 14th, 2018 - Added a validation Lab Step to check the work you perform in the Lab
July 13th, 2018 - Updated resource security policy to allow more regions and modified instructions to always use the East US region
June 29th, 2018 - Updated screenshots and virtual machine configuration to reflect Azure changes
October 1th, 2018 - Updared screenshots and instructions to reflect Azure changes
Greg has been a consistent high performer for pioneering technologies in the wireless web industries with an illustrious career that is a testament to his breadth of knowledge. Dabbling with MS Azure, at Cloud Academy, Greg really thrives on evangelizing the benefits of Amazon Web Services. A dedicated and passionate professional who learns new and emerging technologies quickly, Greg always ensures the highest quality and caliber of everything he produces.