Storage, Extensions and Copy/Create a Virtual Machine
All virtual machines are deployed with just the OS setup at a basic level, to extend the abilities of a virtual machine you can use virtual machine extensions.
You can use a pre-existing virtual machine hard drive to create a new virtual machine.
In this Lab exercise, you will
- Start with a pre-existing VNET with one Virtual Machine (Standard IP, NSG). Then, you will complete the below tasks.
- Create a Storage Account
- Create a Blob Container
- Create and Upload PowerShell Script file to Install IIS
- Add Extensions to Existing Virtual Machine
- Select Install-IIS.PS1 file from Storage account
- Add Network Watcher extension agent
- On completion of install
- Test access to web page (Fails, Port not open)
- Add port rule to NSG to Allow web traffic
- Shutdown Virtual Machine VM1
- Wait for Status to Be Stopped(deallocated)
- Snapshot Disk
- Create Managed disk from snapshot
- Select Disks
- Create New Virtual Machine from Managed Disk
- Start both Virtual Machine’s
- Remote into new Virtual Machine and Change Name to TestVM2 (Works because of Basic IP Address)
- Edit default Web page to read TestVM2
- Test access to both Virtual Machines Web Pages by individual Public IP Addresses
- TestVM1 works but TestVM2 fails
- Add a rule to the NSG
- Re-Test access to TestVM2 web page
David’s IT career started in 1990, when he took on the role of Database Administrator as a favor for his boss. He redirected his career into the Client Server side of Microsoft with NT4, and then progressed to Active Directory and each subsequent version of Microsoft Client/Server Operating Systems. In 2007 he joined QA as a Technical Trainer, and has delivered training in Server systems from 2003 to 2016 and Client systems from XP onwards. Currently, David is a Principal Technical Learning Specialist (Cloud), and delivers training in Azure Cloud Computing, specializing in Infrastructure Compute and Storage. David also delivers training in Microsoft PowerShell, and is qualified in the Alibaba Cloud Space.