Testing Google Cloud Platform Modules with Terratest
Developing cloud infrastructure applies the common software development practice of automated testing in order to ensure resources are being configured correctly and staying within the project's requirements. The increasing pace of cloud providers like Google Cloud Platform is a major reason to include these types of tests in your infrastructure development process. The process of configuring a resource today may not be the same as it was six months ago, and in most cases, automated tests are the only way to identify these updates. Another benefit of implementing testing is to ensure that future updates to your resources don't affect your overall infrastructure.
Terratest, is an open-source Golang testing library that enables you to set up tests for your Terraform resources and modules. Terratest can provide peace of mind as your infrastructure grows and can safeguard your infrastructure from many breaking updates.
In this lab, you write a test using the Terratest library that validates a Google Cloud Platform module configuration.
Upon completion of this lab, you will be able to:
- Learn how to write tests to validate your Google Cloud Platform resource modules with Terratest
- Individuals and teams looking for ways to scale their Terraform codebase with Terragrunt
- Individuals and teams seeking an introduction to using Terragrunt with Google Cloud Platform
Familiarity with the following will be beneficial but is not required:
- Basic concepts of Google Cloud Platform
- Basic concepts of Terraform
The following content can be used to fulfill the prerequisite:
- Deploying Google Cloud Platform Infrastructure with Terraform
- Creating Reusable Infrastructure with Terraform Modules in GCP
April 28th, 2023 - Updated theia to include autosave
Jun is a Cloud Labs Developer with previous experience as a Software Engineer and Cloud Developer. He holds the AWS Certified Solutions Architect and DevOps Engineer Professional certifications. He also holds the AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Developer, and SysOps Administrator Associate certifications.
Jun is focused on giving back to the growing cloud community by sharing his knowledge and experience with students and creating engaging content.