The hands-on lab is part of these learning pathsSee 3 more
Ready for the real environment experience?
Cloud Storage is Google Cloud's enterprise-ready storage service for unstructured data. Examples of when you would use Cloud Storage include content storage and delivery, a data store for analytics and machine learning workloads, as well as storing backups and archives. Cloud Storage can:
- Scale to store exabytes of data
- Provide globally consistent access to data
- Guarantee you 99.999999999% durability (basically no chance of losing data)
This Lab teaches you how to use Cloud Storage. Along the way, the Lab introduces you to all of the key concepts and trade-offs that you need to understand to work effectively with Cloud Storage. These include terminology, methods for organizing Cloud Storage data, cost and performance trade-offs, and security considerations. The Lab is performed using the Console web browser interface to Google Cloud.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Understand key concepts in Cloud Storage including buckets, objects, and storage classes
- Create Cloud Storage buckets from the Console
- Upload files to Cloud Storage, and use folders to organize objects in Cloud Storage
- Use Identity and Access Management (IAM) or Access Control Lists (ACLs) to control access to Cloud Storage objects
- Create Object Lifecycle Management rules to automatically perform actions on objects when certain conditions are met
This Lab has no prerequisites.
May, 14th 2020 - Lab content has been updated due to the new Archive storage class offered by GCP.
Sept. 8th, 2019 - Lab content updated to reflect the latest Google Cloud Storage Console experience and changes to storage classes
July 3rd, 2019 - Inserted the custom validation checks lab step
About the Author
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.