Express - Level 1
This learning path gives an introduction to Express. You will learn how to set up an Express application. You will learn how to create a script file while using Nodemon and Node Watch to restart the application when code changes occur. This path also teaches the basics of Express routing while covering some common request and response object methods.
- Install Express
- Implement the top-level Express function
- Define the port variable and explain its purpose
- Learn about internet ports in general
- Implement the Express listen method
- Modify the package.json file to create a start script
- Implement a GET route handler
- Define what is the root entry point of an API
- Understand the request and response objects
- Define and implement the res.json() method
- Implement a POST route handler
- Implement the express.json() middleware to parse JSON requests
- Define and implement the res.body method
- Learn how to use Insomnia to test an API endpoint
- Implement a wildcard endpoint to handle requests that go to a non-existent endpoint
- Install Nodemon as a global package
- Implement a node script to run a development server using Nodemon
- Install Nodemon as a development dependency
- Understand the difference between global and development packages
- Learn what NPX is
- Implement a node script to run Nodemon using npx
- Learn about the experimental Node Watch feature
- Implement a node script to run node–watch
- Explain the request object
- Implement req.body
- Learn what middleware is
- Implement the middleware express.json() to parse req.body
- Implement req.method
- Implement req.path
- Explain the response object
- Implement res.json()
- Implement res.status()
- Implement res.send()
- Implement res.redirect()
- Learn that these methods are chainable
Farish has worked in the EdTech industry for over six years. He is passionate about teaching valuable coding skills to help individuals and enterprises succeed.
Previously, Farish worked at 2U Inc in two concurrent roles. Farish worked as an adjunct instructor for 2U’s full-stack boot camps at UCLA and UCR. Farish also worked as a curriculum engineer for multiple full-stack boot camp programs. As a curriculum engineer, Farish’s role was to create activities, projects, and lesson plans taught in the boot camps used by over 50 University partners. Along with these duties, Farish also created nearly 80 videos for the full-stack blended online program.
Before 2U, Farish worked at Codecademy for over four years, both as a content creator and part of the curriculum experience team.
Farish is an avid powerlifter, sushi lover, and occasional Funko collector.