This learning path will show you the tools and services used by developers to build applications with App Engine.
We'll start out with an overview of the foundations of the Google Cloud Platform. This will help to provide context around the platform as a whole. And then we'll move on to learning about actually developing apps for App Engine.
App Engine is a platform as a service option that should definitely be added to your "development toolbox." App Engine allows us to develop highly scalable, highly available native cloud applications, running in the same data centers used by Google, for their systems. The ease of development and management makes it a great choice for any sized application.
This learning path will cover these topics:
App Engine Fundamentals
- Task queues
- Traffic splitting
- Application versioning
- App Engine Standard Environment
- App Engine Flexible Environment
App Engine and Cloud Datastore
- Entity groups
- Ancestor queries
App Engine Application Configuration and Management
- Application logging
- Troubleshooting application errors
- Learn how to deploy an application to App Engine, Kubernetes Engine, and Compute Engine, and the value each service provides
- Understand the different monitoring, management, and storage options available in GCP
- Learn about Cloud Firestore, Cloud Datastore, and BigQuery
- Develop a REST API with Cloud Endpoints
- Understand the different authentication and authorization methods available on App Engine
- Learn ways to improve application performance
- Learn about Task Queues
- Developers and cloud architects
- Anyone interested in developing solutions on Google Cloud Platform
To get the most out of this learning path, you should have a basic understanding of the cloud and you should be familiar with building and deploying code.
- August 8, 2019 - Added "Respond to Events with Google Cloud Functions" lab
- August 1, 2019 - Updated and added new topics to:
- Google Cloud Platform: Fundamentals
- Feb 12, 2019 - Added "Working with Google Cloud Storage from the Command Line" lab
- May 31, 2018 - Added Learning Path Exam
Learning Path Steps
This course introduces you to the fundamentals of Google Cloud Platform, including App Engine, Kubernetes Engine, Compute Engine, storage, BigQuery, Cloud Firestore, and app deployment.
Google Cloud Platform Fundamentals Review
Use gsutil from inside a Google Cloud Shell to work with Google Cloud Storage including using object versioning and Object Lifecycle Management in this Lab.
Learn how to develop solutions and build highly scalable apps for Google Cloud Platform with this App Engine course.
Google Cloud Platform Solution Developer Review
This Lab teaches you how to use Cloud Functions, introducing you to all of the key concepts and trade-offs that you need to understand to work effectively with Cloud Functions.
Final Exam: Google Cloud Platform for Developers
Ben Lambert is a software engineer and was previously the lead author for DevOps and Microsoft Azure training content at Cloud Academy. His courses and learning paths covered Cloud Ecosystem technologies such as DC/OS, configuration management tools, and containers. As a software engineer, Ben’s experience includes building highly available web and mobile apps. When he’s not building software, he’s hiking, camping, or creating video games.