Implement Amazon VPC High Availability Best PracticesPush your skills to the next level in a live environment
- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
The hands-on lab is part of these learning pathsSee 5 more
Lab challenges are hands-on labs with the gloves off. You jump into an auto-provisioned cloud environment and are given a goal to accomplish. No instructions, no hints. To pass, you'll have a limited time to demonstrate your problem-solving skills and get the checks that inspect the state of your lab environment.
High availability is frequently a design requirement for solutions architects. Highly available architectures eliminate single points of failure keeping businesses running in the presence of unexpected faults.
This challenge assumes knowledge of and familiarity with:
- VPC networking
- Internet gateways
- NAT gateways
- Routes and route tables
If you are unfamiliar with these topics, Cloud Academy strongly recommends that you review the prerequisites before you attempt this challenge.
In this lab challenge, you will be assessing your practical ability to design for high availability and identify single points of failure in a production-like AWS environment. You are presented with a VPC design that you must inspect and ensure it follows best practices and provides high availability. You must resolve the issues that you identify to pass the Challenge. This is a real environment, which means you can prove your knowledge in an applied situation, leaving behind multiple choice questions for a dynamic performance-based exam situation.
November 3rd, 2021 - Update instructions to use the lab progress rather than the CloudFormation console
August 28th, 2021 - Added check-level hints to provide targeted help with completing the challenge
February 11th, 2021 - Expanded the hints
April 27th, 2020 - Included additional details to provide a narrower scope for the challenge
What will be assessed
- General AWS Knowledge
- AWS VPC best practices
- Understanding of NAT Gateways
- Knowledge of high availability
- Ability to troubleshoot issues related to the above
- AWS Solution Architects and Networking practitioners
- Examinees preparing for AWS Certification exams, particularly, the solutions architect exams
- AWS VPC and high availability knowledge (completion of the Working with AWS Networking and Amazon VPC course or equivalent is recommended)
- Completion of the Securing your VPC using Public and Private Subnets lab is recommended before attempting this challenge
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS), Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.