Introduction to Java ChallengePush your skills to the next level in a live environment
- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Lab challenges are hands-on labs with the gloves off. You jump into an auto-provisioned cloud environment and are given a goal to accomplish. No instructions, no hints. To pass, you'll have a limited time to demonstrate your problem-solving skills and get the checks that inspect the state of your lab environment.
Java is one of the most popular programming languages among enterprise organizations. Your effort invested in learning Java can take your career to many places. This lab challenge will help you confirm your knowledge in topics covered in the Introduction to Java learning path.
In this lab challenge, you will be provided with a web browser-based integrated development environment (IDE) with several incomplete code files pre-loaded. Each code file describes what you must do to complete it before time runs out. This is a real environment, which means you can prove your knowledge in an applied situation, leaving behind multiple choice questions for a dynamic performance-based exam situation.
April 14th, 2020 - Updated to use a fully embedded IDE for a superior user experience
March 5th, 2020 - Updated lab infrastructure to allow direct access to the development environment without navigating cloud vendor consoles and reduce startup time by ~50%.
What will be assessed
- Your ability to write Java code within a time-limited environment
- Particular aspects of Java that may be assessed include basic data types, loops, and classes
- Java developers, especially those that are just beginning to learn Java
- Introductory knowledge of Java 9
- Completion of the Introduction to Java learning path is recommended before attempting this lab challenge
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS), Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.