- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
This lab is the third in a series of three labs where you will be performing forensic analysis in a cloud environment that has fallen victim to an attack. Each lab in the series is in increasing level of difficulty:
- Cloud Incident Response & Forensics: Introductory Lab
- Cloud Incident Response & Forensics: Foundation Lab
- Cloud Incident Response & Forensics: Intermediate Lab
In this lab, the final in the series, you will figure out what the attacker did in the host machine and generate a report which breaks down what happened. Specifically, you will perform further Linux log analysis which will finalise your development of this skill as introduced in the previous two labs. You will then perform Docker Log analysis, which will introduce you to this complex cloud-specific analysis technique. You will then be guided through writing an Analysis Report, bringing together all of your findings and giving you the skills to perform complex analysis.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Determine what the attacker did on the host machine once they broke out of the container
- Write analysis reports to detail findings from forensic analysis
This lab is intended for:
- Cybersecurity practitioners
- Individuals interested in container, web, and Linux security
You should be familiar with:
- Working at the command line in Linux
- Docker container technology and Docker commands
- The Cloud Incident Response & Forensics: Introductory Lab and Cloud Incident Response & Forensics: Foundation Lab should be completed before attempting this lab
January 22nd, 2021 - Updated instructions to reflect the latest simulated attack environment
Tiarnan is a CyberFirst bursary student, working with QA as a cyber security researcher, who joined QA after successfully completing a summer placement. He is currently studying for his computer science degree at Nottingham University.