Connect Azure Virtual Networks with VNet-to-VNet VPN Connections
Ready for the real environment experience?
Azure virtual networks (VNets) connected with a VNet-to-VNet connection can communicate through a secure IPSec/IKE encrypted tunnel using Azure's backbone network without ever traversing the public internet. VNet-to-VNet connections can connect VNets in different regions, Azure subscription, and associated with different Azure Active Directory tenants. VNet-to-VNet connections are ideal for setting up your own geo-replication or synchronization with secure connectivity over Azure's backbone network and for connecting VNets in multi-tier applications with isolation or administrative requirements between tiers.
In this Lab, you will establish a VNet-to-VNet connection to allow a virtual machine to access another the virtual machine in a different VNet.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Understand VNet-to-VNet connections and when you would prefer them over other methods for connecting VNets
- Create VPN gateways using the Azure Portal and Azure CLI
- Configure VNet-to-VNet connections between VPN gateways
- Test VNet-to-VNet connection connectivity
You should be familiar with:
- Basic understanding of Azure networking concepts including VNets, subnets, and network security groups
- Working with at the command-line in Linux and prior experience with the Azure CLI is beneficial
About the Author
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.