The hands-on lab is part of these learning pathsSee 2 more
Ready for the real environment experience?
This lab explores several key services that allow you to create containerized solutions in Azure. One of the main services explored in this lab is Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS). AKS allows you to run fully managed Kubernetes clusters in Azure. You will also use Azure Container Registry (ACR) for building and publishing Docker container images. The AKS monitoring facilities provided by Azure Monitor Insights and Log Analytics are also highlighted.
You will begin the lab with application source code and follow the steps of:
- Testing the application locally in Azure Cloud Shell
- Building and pushing a Docker container image using ACR quick tasks
- Deploying the application to AKS using the image stored in ACR
- Monitoring the application and cluster using AKS monitoring facilities
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Create an Azure Managed Kubernetes Service (AKS) cluster
- Create container images for solutions
- Publish an image to the Azure Container Registry
- Run containers by using AKS
You should be familiar with:
- Basic understanding of Azure concepts including Virtual Networks, VMs, Availability Sets, and Load Balancers
- Experience with Kubernetes and the
kubectlcommand line tool
July 29th, 2020 - Updated the cluster exploration lab step to reflect the latest Portal experience
April 13th, 2020 - Updated the AKS service principal role assignment to include the newest Azure subscriptions resolving an issue that caused the load balancer service to fail to get an external IP in some cases
Sept. 9th, 2019 - Updated to the latest version of Kubernetes in AKS and updated instructions and screenshots to reflect the latest Portal experience
August 12th, 2019 - Updated Kubernetes version
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.