The hands-on lab is part of this learning path
Ready for the real environment experience?
This Lab is designed to show you how to install and set up a React-based development environment, allowing you to compile and execute your own React-based web applications. The Lab will then walk you through the process of creating a custom programming language voting web application that involves making AJAX requests to a sample backend API service (provided).
For those interested, the Go-based CloudAcademy Lab Create an API with Go and Gorilla Mux guides you through creating the same sample backend API service as used within this lab.
Upon completion of this lab, you will be able to:
- Install and configure a React-based development environment and respective toolset
- Create and compile basic React web applications
- Create a custom React web application which makes AJAX requests to a sample backend API service
- Build basic React web-based applications using React
- Be comfortable with basic software engineering and development principles.
This lab will start with the following AWS resources provisioned automatically for you:
- A single EC2 instance, named ide.cloudacademy.platform.instance, which will have a public IP address attached. This will be the instance that you will connect to using your local workstation browser.
To achieve the lab end state, you will be walked through the process of:
- Using your local workstation browser to remotely connect to ide.cloudacademy.platform.instance
- Download, install and configure the Create React App tooling
- Create a default React web application using the Create React App tooling
- Compile, execute and test a custom React web application which makes AJAX requests to a sample backend API service
About the Author
Jeremy is the DevOps Content Lead at Cloud Academy where he specializes in developing technical training documentation for DevOps.
He has a strong background in software engineering, and has been coding with various languages, frameworks, and systems for the past 20+ years. In recent times, Jeremy has been focused on DevOps, Cloud, Security, and Machine Learning.
Jeremy holds professional certifications for both the AWS and GCP cloud platforms.