Work with Joins in SQL
Structured Query Language (SQL) is a standard language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data in databases. SQL is a great database language to use for intuitive and clearly-defined databases because it uses a system to create relationships amongst its data sets that is relatively easy to get started with. Companies use SQL when they have a need to store, update and serve data with clearly-defined relationships or using mature, proven technology.
In this Lab, you will practice using joins. Joins are a SQL tool that allow you to view, edit and store data from multiple tables using a single query. The benefit of joins is that you can create more complex data sets using only the data you need from individual tables. You can then use the data as needed or insert it into a new table.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Understand intermediate principles of SQL
- Navigate within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Perform intermediate queries using SQL
This Lab is intended for:
- Prospective developers, data scientists and database engineers
- Anyone who needs the ability to store, edit and view data
- Anyone interested in full-stack, backend or website development
- Familiarity with the Azure Portal is helpful but not required
- Basic knowledge of SQL is required. If you have limited SQL experience, you can follow the Run your first SQL queries Lab first.
April 9th, 2021 - Moved validation checks to the most relevant Lab step for more immediate validation feedback
January 25th, 2021 - Upgrade underlying instance size for better performance
August 24th, 2020 - Updated the Lab to use in-browser Remote Desktop to streamline the Lab experience
March 13th, 2020 - Updated the Lab's SQL license and validation steps
Matt has worked for multiple Fortune 500 companies as a DevOps Engineer and Solutions Architect. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, and an AWS Certified Solution Architect - Associate. He enjoys reading and learning new technologies.