The hands-on lab is part of these learning pathsSee 1 more
Ready for the real environment experience?
Stateful applications are applications with memory of the past. Kubernetes has achieved wide adoption for deploying stateless applications. Kubernetes also provides a rich set of features for running stateful applications. Adoption of Kubernetes for stateful applications is growing and so is the list of stateful workloads that are supported by Kubernetes. In this lab, you will deploy a stateful application in a Kubernetes cluster to understand how Kubernetes supports stateful applications.
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Describe methods for deploying Kubernetes clusters in the cloud
- Explain how Kubernetes can deploy stateful applications
- Determine if it is a good idea to move a stateful application into Kubernetes
- Use Kubernetes to automatically provision persistent cloud storage volumes
- Expose Kubernetes applications via cloud load balancers
- Monitor and manage Kubernetes clusters using the Kubernetes Dashboard
You should be familiar with:
- Basic Kubernetes concepts such as pods, services, and deployments
- AWS EBS volumes
- Working on the command line in Linux
Before completing the lab instructions, the environment will look as follows:
After completing the lab instructions, the environment should look similar to:
May 2nd, 2021 - Updated to run Kubernetes 1.20, 80% faster startup time, and use a web terminal
December 16th, 2020 - Updated to Kubernetes 1.19, added EC2 instance connect support, added customized validation check
December 8th, 2020 - Updated instructions to address an issue preventing mysql commands from running
August 28th, 2020 - Updated the SSH instructions to reflect the new EC2 user interface
January 10th, 2019 - Added a validation lab step to check the work you perform in the lab
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS), Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.