The hands-on lab is part of these learning pathsSee 1 more
Ready for the real environment experience?
Stateful applications are applications with memory of the past. Kubernetes has achieved wide adoption for deploying stateless applications. Kubernetes also provides a rich set of features for running stateful applications. Adoption of Kubernetes for stateful applications is growing and so is the list of stateful workloads that are supported by Kubernetes. In this Lab you will deploy a stateful application in a Kubernetes cluster to understand how Kubernetes supports stateful applications.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Describe methods for deploying Kubernetes clusters in the cloud
- Explain how Kubernetes can deploy stateful applications
- Determine if it is a good idea to move a stateful application into Kubernetes
- Use Kubernetes to automatically provision persistent cloud storage volumes
- Expose Kubernetes applications via cloud load balancers
- Monitor and manage Kubernetes clusters using the Kubernetes Dashboard
You should be familiar with:
- Basic Kubernetes concepts such as pods, services, and deployments
- AWS EBS volumes
- Working on the command line in Linux
Before completing the Lab instructions, the environment will look as follows:
After completing the Lab instructions, the environment should look similar to:
January 10th, 2019 - Added a validation Lab Step to check the work you perform in the Lab
About the Author
Logan has been involved in software development and research since 2007 and has been in the cloud since 2012. He is an AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional, AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional, Microsoft Certified Azure Solutions Architect Expert, MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, Google Cloud Certified Associate Cloud Engineer, Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA), Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator (LFCS), and Certified OpenStack Administrator (COA). He earned his Ph.D. studying design automation and enjoys all things tech.