Ready for the real environment experience?
Amazon EBS GP3 volumes are the latest generation of general-purpose SSD-based storage. With GP3, customers can scale IOPS (input/output operations per second) and throughput independently of capacity. This ensures customers only pay for the storage they actually need.
In this lab scenario, you'll learn how to easily migrate an EBS volume from GP2 to GP3. You'll first start by provisioning and attaching a new EBS GP2 volume to a provided running EC2 instance. You'll then be walked through the process of formatting and mounting the EBS GP2 volume into the filesystem. Next, you'll be instructed to migrate the EBS GP2 volume to GP3. Finally, you'll be shown how to benchmark the EBS GP3 volume, and in doing so you'll get to see first hand how GP3 provides improved performance.
Upon completion of this lab, you will be able to:
- Migrate EBS GP2 volumes to GP3
- AWS Cloud Engineers and System Administrators
Familiarity with the following will be beneficial but is not required:
- Be comfortable with basic Linux command line administration
This lab will start with the following AWS resources provisioned automatically for you:
- 1 x EC2 instance
- workload.cloudacademy.platform.instance - with a single default root EBS volume
To achieve the lab end state, you'll be walked through the following process:
- Use the AWS EC2 SSH Connect console to connect to the provided EC2 instance
- Use the AWS CLI to attach a new EBS GP2 volume
- Format and mount the newly attached EBS GP2 volume
- Use the AWS CLI to migrate the EBS GP2 volume to GP3
- Benchmark the GP3 volume
Jeremy is a Content Lead Architect and DevOps SME here at Cloud Academy where he specializes in developing DevOps technical training documentation.
He has a strong background in software engineering, and has been coding with various languages, frameworks, and systems for the past 25+ years. In recent times, Jeremy has been focused on DevOps, Cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP), Security, Kubernetes, and Machine Learning.
Jeremy holds professional certifications for AWS, Azure, GCP, Terraform, Kubernetes (CKA, CKAD, CKS).