The hands-on lab is part of these learning paths
Ready for the real environment experience?
While many companies practice code deployment automation for business logic and applications, far fewer practice full-stack deployment automation whether they are running on AWS, another cloud provider, or other infrastructure. Most businesses recognize that the automation of code deployment offers major operational benefits and time savings. This Lab provides a complete walkthrough for the design and development of full-stack deployment automation on AWS, using AWS CloudFormation.
Some of the key benefits of learning stack deployment automation are:
- Ensure true parity between Development, Test, Staging, and Production systems
- Recoverability during disasters with rapid re-deployment
- Ease of multi-region deployment consistency
- Enable full-cloud integration testing
During this Lab, you will learn how to take business requirements for a cloud system on AWS, design a stack for the requirements, and implement total automation for deployment of the stack by authoring a complete AWS CloudFormation Template for a stack including:
- A VPC with private and public subnets
- A NAT instance for access to the internet from a private subnet
- Route tables and Network ACLs for the VPC
- An Elastic Load Balancer (ELB) and Auto Scaling Group of EC2 Instances running code
- Code deployment automation
- Security Groups for the EC2 Instances and ELB
- DynamoDB Table to persist data, and IAM Roles to allow EC2 Instance access
Do you have questions about this Lab? Contact our cloud experts by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
January 10th, 2019 - Added a validation Lab Step to check the work you perform in the Lab
September 18th, 2018 - Fixed an issue related to node's package manager (
npm) failing to install some dependencies and causing the load balancer's URL to not display the app.
About the Author
Nothing gets me more excited than the AWS Cloud platform! Teaching cloud skills has become a passion of mine. I have been a software and AWS cloud consultant for several years. I hold all 5 possible AWS Certifications: Developer Associate, SysOps Administrator Associate, Solutions Architect Associate, Solutions Architect Professional, and DevOps Engineer Professional. I live in Austin, Texas, USA, and work as development lead at my consulting firm, Tuple Labs.