The hands-on lab is part of these learning paths
Ready for the real environment experience?
AWS CloudTrail is a service that enables you to log, monitor, and capture API-related events across your AWS infrastructure and most AWS services. Events that CloudTrail captures get delivered to an S3 bucket, and are also available for viewing from the CloudTrail console. CloudTrail captures, creates, modifies, and deletes API calls triggered from the console, API, command line tools, or even other AWS services. Optionally, CloudTrail can be configured to send events to CloudWatch as well (and this Lab does indeed tackle that, too). Typical use cases for CloudTrail, operating with CloudWatch, are monitoring, auditing, and security (governance, compliance, analysis).
It is important to know that CloudTrail is not a replacement for CloudWatch. It simply adds to the monitoring capabilities offered by AWS. Notice the focus for each service:
- CloudTrail focuses on API activity
- CloudWatch focuses on performance monitoring and overall system health
Although this is a beginner level Lab, it is on the more challenging side for beginners (almost intermediate ;-). You should be familiar with AWS basics including:
- Using the AWS Console
- S3 (bucket and folder creation, uploading files to S3)
- EC2 (creating and launching a basic instance)
- Conceptual understanding of CloudWatch and Simple Notification Service (SNS)
Upon completion of this Lab, you will be able to:
- Turn on and configure CloudTrail to capture key events and deliver log files to a specific S3 bucket
- Navigate the S3 bucket structure where CloudTrail logs are stored (as compressed JSON files)
- Generate traffic in order to verify CloudTrail is working
- Use the CloudTrail console to learn more about the events CloudTrail captures
- Configure CloudTrail to send events to CloudWatch
- Create a metric filter and alarm so that you receive a notification when specific events occur in AWS
After completing the lab instructions the environment will look similar to:
Do you have questions about this Lab? Contact our cloud experts by sending an email to email@example.com.
About the Author
Greg has been a consistent high performer for pioneering technologies in the wireless web industries with an illustrious career that is a testament to his breadth of knowledge. Dabbling with MS Azure, at Cloud Academy, Greg really thrives on evangelizing the benefits of Amazon Web Services. A dedicated and passionate professional who learns new and emerging technologies quickly, Greg always ensures the highest quality and caliber of everything he produces.