The hands-on lab is part of this learning path
Security - Specialty Certification Preparation for AWS
Ready for the real environment experience?
Use Amazon Athena to query encrypted data on S3
In this Lab you will use Amazon Athena to query server-side encrypted data stored on Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon Athena is an interactive query service that allows you to issue standard Structured Query Language (SQL) commands to analyze data on S3. You will also learn how to encrypt the query results. This will provide an end-to-end data security model:
- The data is stored encrypted (data at rest)
- All communications within AWS are encrypted (data in transit)
- The query results are encrypted (data at rest)
In addition to security, you will also learn several other features/benefits of using Athena and S3, such as speed, and the ability to query compressed data (which provides cost savings as well).
Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Encrypt data on S3
- Define a schema in order to create a database and table in Amazon Athena
- Perform basic queries in Athena
- Encrypt the query results
You should be familiar with:
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) bucket creation and file uploads
- Basic Standard Query Language (SQL) knowledge is not necessary, but is helpful
After completing the lab instructions the environment should look similar to:
About the Author
Greg has been a consistent high performer for pioneering technologies in the wireless web industries with an illustrious career that is testament to his breadth of knowledge. Dabbling with MS Azure, at Cloud Academy, Greg really thrives on evangelizing the benefits of Amazon Web Services. A dedicated and passionate professional who learns new and emerging technologies quickly, Greg always ensures the highest quality and calibre of everything he produces.