- Stay within resource usage requirements.
- Do not engage in or encourage activity that is illegal.
- Do not engage in cryptocurrency mining.
Ready for the real environment experience?
Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR) is a fully-managed Docker container registry that helps you store, manage, and deploy Docker container images. ECR is integrated with Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS), streamlining your development and deployment operations. You can use Amazon's other services such as Simple Storage Service (S3) and Identity and Access Management (IAM) to control and manage your entire container-based solution. In this Lab, you will build two Docker container images with Amazon CodeBuild, push the images to ECR, and perform a blue-green deployment operation using ECS.
Upon completion of this Lab you will be able to:
- Use application source files to create Docker container images and place them in Amazon ECR.
- Create an Amazon ECS cluster.
- Use the Amazon ECR images to create task definitions and services.
- Implement the services in ECS container instances and adjust instance numbers.
- Register ECS container instances with an Application Load Balancer (ALB).
- Switch from one deployed application to another quickly and with no downtime.
You should be familiar with:
- Basic understanding of local operating system and computer use.
- An understanding of Docker and container concepts is helpful, but not required.
May 3rd, 2022 - Updated lab step to improve clarity and user experience
March 18th, 2022 - Updated step 3 to 7 with more/clear screenshots and added instructions
December 27th, 2021 - Updated screenshots and instructions to reflect the latest UI
December 14th, 2021 - Corrected the name of the S3 bucket name referred to in the CodeBuild project
August, 9th, 2021 - Updated the AWS CodeBuild lab step to reflect the latest user interface changes and clarified some instructions
October 29th, 2020 - Addressed an issue that prevented the ECS services from starting
July 30th, 2020 - Increased time limit based on student feedback
March 5th, 2020 - Added a new lab step that instructs you to remove resources from the lab
May 30th, 2019 - Added a new validation Lab Step to check the work you perform in the Lab in more detail
May 24th, 2019 - Updated CodeBuild instructions and buildspec.yaml to work with the new standard Docker image
January 10th, 2019 - Added a validation Lab Step to check the work you perform in the Lab
July 18th, 2018 - Updated screenshots and instructions to match the new Console experience
Eric is a Lab Researcher and Developer working to add to Cloud Academy's library of hands-on labs. He is an IT veteran who enjoys the ever-changing landscape of cloud computing. He also relishes live classical music performances, because sometimes engineering is better heard than seen.