In almost every enterprise solution there will be a requirement for some sort of database, but which service should you use, and how should you architect it? This learning path has been compiled to introduce you to the different AWS database services and some of the features relating to AWS database types.
- Gain an understanding of the different types of database services available to you within AWS
- Be able to recognize and explain the various database services offered by AWS.
- Identify and select which database services might suit a specific use case or requirement
- Be able to create an RDS database
- Define the differences between DynamoDB and other databases
- Understand when to use DynamoDB, or when not to use it
- How to create DynamoDB tables, understanding and using best practices for table design
- How to read and write data in DynamoDB tables
- Be able to configure DynamoDB triggers to work with AWS Lambda
- Enable you to recognize and explain the AWS Database Schema Conversion Tool
- Learn to recognize and explain when to use the AWS Database Migration Service and to recognize common-used cases
- Recognize and implement best practices when using the AWS Database Migration Services
- Understand the differences between Multi-AZ instances and Read Replicas
- Understand the different techniques and methods used to implement Multi-AZ across different DB engines
- Understand the limitations and subtle differences between read replicas across different db engine types
This learning path has been designed for those who are responsible for maintaining and managing databases infrastructure within AWS. It would also be advantageous to Solution Architects and those looking to take an Associate or Professional level AWS certification.
You should have a basic understanding of AWS core services and VPC infrastructure
Related Training Content
To gain additional knowledge around some of the other services mentioned within this course, you might wish to take a look at the 'Solutions Architect - Associate Certification Preperation for AWS' Learning Path (Feb 2018)
Learning Path Steps
This course provides you with an introduction to the cloud database services offered by AWS and how to use them.
Knowledge Check: Database Fundamentals for AWS
You will learn the steps to create and use the MySQL Relational Database using Amazon RDS.
A hands-on lab introducing you to the high performance and high availability Amazon Aurora database engine.
In this course, you'll learn about RDS multi-AZ and will come away knowing when to implement and use this feature within your own environment.
In this course, you'll learn the fundamentals of Amazon DynamoDB, including table design, reading, writing, and working with large tables.
Move your first steps using DynamoDB. Create tables with and withoud secondary indexes, learn how to add new rows and query your data by using the AWS Management Console.
Learn how to listen to DynamoDB update streams and process batches of records with AWS Lambda to augment your database behavior.
In this course, you'll learn about the AWS Database Migration Service and the AWS Database Schema Conversion Tool and how they can be used to migrate data.
Final Exam: Working with AWS Databases
About the Author
Stuart has been working within the IT industry for two decades covering a huge range of topic areas and technologies, from data centre and network infrastructure design, to cloud architecture and implementation.
To date, Stuart has created 60++ courses relating to Cloud, most within the AWS category with a heavy focus on security and compliance
He is AWS certified and accredited in addition to being a published author covering topics across the AWS landscape.
In January 2016 Stuart was awarded ‘Expert of the Year Award 2015’ from Experts Exchange for his knowledge share within cloud services to the community.
Stuart enjoys writing about cloud technologies and you will find many of his articles within our blog pages.