The hands-on lab is part of these learning paths
Ready for the real environment experience?
Backtrack is a feature of Amazon Aurora MySQL databases that enables you to quickly and seamlessly "rewind" your database to an earlier point in time. The primary use-case for Backtrack is to easily and quickly restore data after a data loss event in a production environment. Common causes of data loss include:
- User error when manually running SQL queries
- Invalid or interrupted database schema migrations
- Misconfigured applications
- Malicious activity
Compared to other backup and restore options, Backtrack is fast. With a traditional Point in Time Restore (PITR), where your database is restored to a specific point in time, the process can be expected to take hours on large datasets. Backtrack can complete rewinding your database in minutes.
In this lab, you will populate an Amazon Aurora MySQL database with some sample data, delete some data to simulate a data loss event, use Backtrack to restore the database, and finally, you will use Amazon CloudWatch to examine Backtrack specific metrics that are available to you.
This is a beginner level lab. Upon completion of this lab you will be able to:
- Connect to an Amazon Aurora MySQL database using the Linux command-line
- Execute SQL queries to populate the database and simulate a data loss event
- Use the Backtrack feature to restore your database
- Use Amazon CloudWatch to examine Backtrack specific metrics
This lab is intended for:
- Data Engineers
- Database Administrators (DBAs)
- Cloud Engineers
You should be familiar with:
- Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS)
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
The following course can be used to fulfill the prerequisites:
Familiarity with the Linux command-line will be helpful but is not required.
The following lab can be used to learn more about the Linux command-line:
Andrew is a Labs Developer with previous experience in the Internet Service Provider, Audio Streaming, and CryptoCurrency industries. He has also been a DevOps Engineer and enjoys working with CI/CD and Kubernetes.
He holds the AWS Certified Developer - Associate and AWS Certified Sysops Administrator - Associate certifications.