The course is part of this learning path
Cost Optimization Strategies
Cloud computing providers like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform are becoming a larger part of our IT budget, making it necessary to understand their cost. We may even be surprised to see public cloud bills to be higher than expected. I am going to take a closer look at the top contributors and what we can do to reduce overall spending while maintaining innovation velocity.
• This course is for executives, architects, and technical leads looking to understand what drives public cloud cost and to learn about best practices of cloud cost optimization.
Pre-requisites • Viewers should have a basic understanding of cloud concepts. Some familiarity with cloud services like compute and storage will be helpful but is not required.
• Understand what makes cloud attractive and how adoption will drive cost
• Learn how to gain visibility into cloud cost and how to hold departments accountable for their spending
• Learn about cloud cost drivers and how to get the most out of your budget
• Discover how to establish best practices and build a culture of cost consciousness
This Course Includes: 90 minutes of high-definition video.
What You'll Learn:
• Course Intro: What to expect from this course
• Cloud Adoption: Included in this lesson is a discussion of what makes the cloud such an attractive solution, what drives cloud adoption, and what are the typical costs.
• Cloud Cost Visibility: Included in this lesson is a discussion of building a cost reporting infrastructure and attributing cost to business units.
• Easy Cost Optimization Actions: Included in this lesson is a discussion of vendor discounts and security and compliance.
• Managing Cost Drivers: Included in this lesson is a discussion of how to identify unused or old assets and utilizing cold storage.
• Best Practices and Cost Culture: Included in this lesson is a discussion of building a cost consciousness culture.
• Cost Optimization Next Steps: Included in this lesson is a discussion of gamifying the cloud cost experience.
• Course Conclusion: Course summary.
About the Author
Dieter Matzion is a member of Intuit’s Technology Finance team supporting the AWS cost optimization program.
Most recently, Dieter was part of Netflix’s AWS capacity team, where he helped develop Netflix’s rhythm and active management of AWS including cluster management and moving workloads to different instance families.
Prior to Netflix, Dieter spent two years at Google working on the Google Cloud offering focused on capacity planning and resource provisioning. At Google he developed demand-planning models and automation tools for capacity management.
Prior to that, Dieter spent seven years at PayPal in different roles ranging from managing databases, network operations, and batch operations, supporting all systems and processes for the corporate functions at a daily volume of $1.2B.
A native of Germany, Dieter has an M.S. in computer science. When not at work, he prioritizes spending time with family and enjoying the outdoors: hiking, camping, horseback riding, and cave exploration.