The course is part of these learning pathsSee 2 more
Backup / DR / BC
This course provides an introductory tour of Azure Storage Solutions such as its SQL offerings (SQL DB and third party offerings of MySQL), managed NoSQL databases (DocumentDB and MongoDB), managed Redis Cache service, Azure Backup (backup-as-a-service), Site Recovery (for handling disaster recovery) and StorSimple (a hybrid cloud storage solution).
Target Audience / Experience
- This course is for developers or IT professionals looking for an introduction to Azure’s Storage Solutions.
- Some familiarity with the Azure platform is helpful, but not required.
- Understand what SQL DB is and how to get started using it
- Learn the options offered by Azure for managed MySQL
- Understand what DocumentDB and MongoDB are and how to get started using them
- Learn what Redis Cache is and some cases of when you would use it
- Get an understanding of what Azure Search provides
- Learn how Azure Backup can solve common backup needs
- Understand what role Site Recovery can play in disaster recovery
- Learn how StorSimple can extend your on-premise storage capacity
- Course Introduction
- Azure SQL Database
- What is Azure SQL Database?
- Understanding the service tiers
- Create a SQL Database
- What is a Data Throughput Unit (DTU)?
- Scaling Azure SQL
- Options for Using MySQL in Azure
- Azure CosmosDB DocumentDB API
- What is DocumentDB?
- Azure CosmosDB MongoDB API
- Options for Using MongoDB in Azure
- How does DocumentDB compare to MongoDB?
- Azure Redis Cache
- What is Azure Redis Cache?
- Common scenarios for using Redis Cache
- Understanding the service tiers
- How does Redis work?
- Create and manage a Redis Cache
- Scaling Azure Redis Cache
- Azure Search
- What is Azure Search?
- Indexes and Search Features
- How do you use the Search Service?
- Create a Search Service and Index
- Azure Backup
- What is Azure Backup?
- Backup Scenarios
- Import/Export Service
- What is the Import/Export Service?
- Why would you use Import/Export?
- Site Recovery
- What is Site Recovery?
- Workload recovery scenarios
- What is StorSimple?
- How does StorSimple work?
- Course Summary
- Conclusion and Wrap-Up
In the portal, I’ll click the new button, search for Site Recovery. In the results list, I'll click the Backup and Site Recovery (OMS) item and click create.
I'll give it a name, leave the subscription to the default, choose my existing resource group, and leave the location as east us 2, pin to dashboard and click create.
Ok, the vault creates pretty quick and opens to the overview page.
Ok, some of this is going to be an overlap from the backup product, but the general information about the recovery vault at the top. Check out backup, fresh reminder in case you missed it. This is where you would configure a backup, on premises or azure. Virtual machine, you get to choose your workload type, or files and folders, basically what you are backing up. So we’ll close out of this.
Let’s take a look at replicate. This is where you can replicate vms, you can do that on premises or in azure as you can the azure version is currently in preview. Just set the settings up, I’m not going to go through all of this its kind of beyond the scope of what I can cover in this introductory talk. So that’s replicate.
Let me close out of here. Lets see what else is on the main view here. We’ve got some charts and number counts to let you know what is replicated, what recovery plans you have, backup items – those sorts of things. General information.
In the menu here, Properties has high level information.
Backup, some information about getting started.
Site Recovery same thing. Steps to help you prepare your infrastructure to get ready for site replication and recovery. Each of these steps you can kind of see the information that is available as I click through them. I can’t really do Recovery Plan right now since I don’t have the prerequisites.
Jobs, there are both backup jobs and site recovery jobs. This is where you can see the status of the different jobs that are operating and doing their backups and copies.
Alerts and Events, for with both backup alerts and site recovery events you can have alerts configured to email you. To notify you of certain things happening.
Backup policies, is where your backup policies are shown.
Backup items and replication items is just kind of a tally of what is in the system – that it knows about.
Site Recovery infrastructure, now this is going to be the complete mapping for all of your virtual machines all of the different systems you have tied together for site recovery.
Backup infrastructure, same thing. Because there are several different things that can be backed up.
Recovery Plans, this is where you can get at your recovery plans without digging through all the other pages.
That is a quick tour of the Site Recovery functionality.
Here are some links that will help you find more information on Site Recovery.
Let's now look at the hybrid storage product StorSimple.
About the Author
Jason Haley is an independent consultant who focuses on Azure and Angular. He has over 20+ years’ experience architecting, designing, developing and delivering software solutions using mostly Microsoft technologies. Jason recently achieved his MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure certification in May 2017 (by passing all of the 70-532, 70-533 and 70-534 exams). He is also a Microsoft Azure MVP and leads the North Boston Azure User Group. He frequently speaks at community events on topics relating to Azure.