(Update March 2019) To get a definition of the roles needed to maximize your organization’s investment in cloud, explore the latest skills in demand by job role with Cloud Academy’s Cloud Roster™.
Cloud Academy is always on the lookout for the most promising Cloud Computing opportunities.
Employers: interested in reaching our readers with your job openings? Send us an email.
Because of just how big “The Cloud” is, I am trying to narrow our job searches a little. So this week we will focus on some particularly promising AWS Big Data positions from around the world.
First, though, let’s try and pin down exactly what Big Data is. The following excerpt is from the official AWS whitepaper Big Data Analytics Options on AWS and should give an idea.
As we become a more digital society the amount of data being created and collected is accelerating significantly. The analysis of this ever-growing data set becomes a challenge using traditional analytical tools. Innovation is required to bridge the gap between the amount of data that is being generated and the amount of data that can be analyzed effectively. Big data tools and technologies offer ways to efficiently analyze data to better understand customer preferences, to gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace, and to use as a lever to grow your business. The AWS ecosystem of analytical solutions is specifically designed to handle this growing amount of data and provide insight into ways your business can collect and analyze it.
1. Lead Quality Engineer (Big Data/Analytics, AWS, Scale)
TuneIn – San Francisco SOMA District
As a key member of the Quality Engineering team, you will work directly with business stakeholders to lead and execute a variety of projects on our streaming audio platform and big data services.
You will hold responsibility for full life-cycle management, including requirements analysis, test case planning and design, and execution of manual and automated tests and procedures. You will work side by side the engineering team and coordinate the efforts of testers onsite and out of the house.
- Identify overall QA milestones, dependencies, issues, risks, etc. for a specific project. Plan and coordinate QA activity accordingly.
- Define test methods and create test documentation for new or existing projects to ensure necessary test coverage
- Create test tools that will help test platform components and data flow through the system
- Maintain effective communication with development, PM and business stakeholders regarding project status and risk assessment.
- Work with and lead the offshore team.
2. Software Development Engineer – Big Data, AWS Elastic MapReduce (EMR)
Amazon – US-WA-Seattle
Want to change the world with Big Data and Analytics? Come join us on the Amazon Web services (AWS) Elastic MapReduce (EMR) team!
EMR is a massively scaled distributed service that gives users fast and predictable Big Data performance with clusters running Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Impala, Spark, Shark and more, with the ability to effortlessly scale up and down as needed. We run millions of customer clusters, enabling processing on vast datasets.
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the constantly evolving and growing Big Data field
- Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Delivering systems and features with top-notch quality, on time
- Stay current on technical knowledge to keep pace with rapidly changing technology, and work with the team in bringing new technologies on board
3. Big Data Engineer – SQL / ETL / AWS / Linux / SAP HANA
Burns Sheehan – London, United Kingdom
If you are a talented, passionate Big Data Engineer then an exciting new role has been created just for you! You’ll join a super impressive Data Analytics Team and play a key role on a number of very high profile projects in state of the art offices offering stunning views of London, an on-site gym and cool chill out area.
- Maintain and scale their data pipeline in the face of explosive growth
- Own one of many continuous improvement projects to expand the capacity and performance of their platform
- Support Data Analytics implementation of new tools to increase the robustness of our end-to-end data chain
- Develop tools for the administration and monitoring of their core data platform
Radley Group – Sydney, Australia
The benefits for the successful candidate will be:
- Silicon Valley style employee share schemes.
- Young, dynamic team at the forefront of their industry
- Tech. start up culture and environment
- Significant amount of support from SME’s in the business and an opportunity to hit the ground running and make this their own.
- a strong developer with at least 3 years experience in similar roles
- a core member of our engineering team
- concentrating on the improvement and expansion of our API
- working on our Angular client apps when needed
- taking ownership of automating and containerising our hosting
- prototyping new approaches and testing ideas
- helping to build an awesome engineering culture
5. Data Engineer – Visualization & Reporting
Babbel – Berlin, DE
We are looking for a Data Engineer (full-time) to start immediately in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg, Germany.
With millions of regular users and more than 7000 hours of premium content, Babbel.com is growing fast while shaping the future of learning.
You are an experienced software engineer who has built and run cloud-based analytics infrastructure in internet companies before and you want to apply your expertise in the challenging setting of a fast-moving company.
In your role, you will help to evolve our existing data architecture and infrastructure to further enable data-driven insight.
You will collaborate closely with the technical product owner for Analytics, lead technical architects and the Analytics team to deliver analytics solutions for different stakeholders as well as introduce new technologies in the area of analytics, reporting, monitoring and dashboards, and Big Data.
- Manage reporting/dashboard plans for our different internal customers (e.g. product teams, marketing, finance, operations)
- Interface with engineers, analysts and managers to understand data needs.
- Design, develop, test, launch new reports and dashboards into production.
- Provide support to reports and dashboards running in production.
- Define and manage SLA for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership.
- Work with data architecture to triage infrastructure issues and drive to resolution.
- Build data expertise and own data quality in allocated areas of ownership.
New on Cloud Academy: AWS Solution Architect Lab Challenge, Azure Hands-on Labs, Foundation Certificate in Cyber Security, and Much More
Now that Thanksgiving is over and the craziness of Black Friday has died down, it's now time for the busiest season of the year. Whether you're a last-minute shopper or you already have your shopping done, the holidays bring so much more excitement than any other time of year. Since our...
Understanding Enterprise Cloud Migration
What is enterprise cloud migration? Cloud migration is about moving your data, applications, and even infrastructure from your on-premises computers or infrastructure to a virtual pool of on-demand, shared resources that offer compute, storage, and network services at scale. Why d...
6 Reasons Why You Should Get an AWS Certification This Year
In the past decade, the rise of cloud computing has been undeniable. Businesses of all sizes are moving their infrastructure and applications to the cloud. This is partly because the cloud allows businesses and their employees to access important information from just about anywhere. ...
AWS Regions and Availability Zones: The Simplest Explanation You Will Ever Find Around
The basics of AWS Regions and Availability Zones We’re going to treat this article as a sort of AWS 101 — it’ll be a quick primer on AWS Regions and Availability Zones that will be useful for understanding the basics of how AWS infrastructure is organized. We’ll define each section,...
Application Load Balancer vs. Classic Load Balancer
What is an Elastic Load Balancer? This post covers basics of what an Elastic Load Balancer is, and two of its examples: Application Load Balancers and Classic Load Balancers. For additional information — including a comparison that explains Network Load Balancers — check out our post o...
Advantages and Disadvantages of Microservices Architecture
What are microservices? Let's start our discussion by setting a foundation of what microservices are. Microservices are a way of breaking large software projects into loosely coupled modules, which communicate with each other through simple Application Programming Interfaces (APIs). ...
Kubernetes Services: AWS vs. Azure vs. Google Cloud
Kubernetes is a popular open-source container orchestration platform that allows us to deploy and manage multi-container applications at scale. Businesses are rapidly adopting this revolutionary technology to modernize their applications. Cloud service providers — such as Amazon Web Ser...
AWS Internet of Things (IoT): The 3 Services You Need to Know
The Internet of Things (IoT) embeds technology into any physical thing to enable never-before-seen levels of connectivity. IoT is revolutionizing industries and creating many new market opportunities. Cloud services play an important role in enabling deployment of IoT solutions that min...
Which Certifications Should I Get?
As we mentioned in an earlier post, the old AWS slogan, “Cloud is the new normal” is indeed a reality today. Really, cloud has been the new normal for a while now and getting credentials has become an increasingly effective way to quickly showcase your abilities to recruiters and compan...
How to Go Serverless Like a Pro
So, no servers? Yeah, I checked and there are definitely no servers. Well...the cloud service providers do need servers to host and run the code, but we don’t have to worry about it. Which operating system to use, how and when to run the instances, the scalability, and all the arch...
AWS Security: Bastion Hosts, NAT instances and VPC Peering
Effective security requires close control over your data and resources. Bastion hosts, NAT instances, and VPC peering can help you secure your AWS infrastructure. Welcome to part four of my AWS Security overview. In part three, we looked at network security at the subnet level. This ti...
Top 13 Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) Best Practices
Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) brings a host of advantages to the table, including static private IP addresses, Elastic Network Interfaces, secure bastion host setup, DHCP options, Advanced Network Access Control, predictable internal IP ranges, VPN connectivity, movement of interna...