(Update March 2019) To get a definition of the roles needed to maximize your organization’s investment in cloud, explore the latest skills in demand by job role with Cloud Academy’s Cloud Roster™.
Cloud Academy is always on the lookout for the most promising Cloud Computing opportunities.
Employers: interested in reaching our readers with your job openings? Send us an email.
Because of just how big “The Cloud” is, I am trying to narrow our job searches a little. So this week we will focus on some particularly promising AWS Big Data positions from around the world.
First, though, let’s try and pin down exactly what Big Data is. The following excerpt is from the official AWS whitepaper Big Data Analytics Options on AWS and should give an idea.
As we become a more digital society the amount of data being created and collected is accelerating significantly. The analysis of this ever-growing data set becomes a challenge using traditional analytical tools. Innovation is required to bridge the gap between the amount of data that is being generated and the amount of data that can be analyzed effectively. Big data tools and technologies offer ways to efficiently analyze data to better understand customer preferences, to gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace, and to use as a lever to grow your business. The AWS ecosystem of analytical solutions is specifically designed to handle this growing amount of data and provide insight into ways your business can collect and analyze it.
1. Lead Quality Engineer (Big Data/Analytics, AWS, Scale)
TuneIn – San Francisco SOMA District
As a key member of the Quality Engineering team, you will work directly with business stakeholders to lead and execute a variety of projects on our streaming audio platform and big data services.
You will hold responsibility for full life-cycle management, including requirements analysis, test case planning and design, and execution of manual and automated tests and procedures. You will work side by side the engineering team and coordinate the efforts of testers onsite and out of the house.
- Identify overall QA milestones, dependencies, issues, risks, etc. for a specific project. Plan and coordinate QA activity accordingly.
- Define test methods and create test documentation for new or existing projects to ensure necessary test coverage
- Create test tools that will help test platform components and data flow through the system
- Maintain effective communication with development, PM and business stakeholders regarding project status and risk assessment.
- Work with and lead the offshore team.
2. Software Development Engineer – Big Data, AWS Elastic MapReduce (EMR)
Amazon – US-WA-Seattle
Want to change the world with Big Data and Analytics? Come join us on the Amazon Web services (AWS) Elastic MapReduce (EMR) team!
EMR is a massively scaled distributed service that gives users fast and predictable Big Data performance with clusters running Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Impala, Spark, Shark and more, with the ability to effortlessly scale up and down as needed. We run millions of customer clusters, enabling processing on vast datasets.
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the constantly evolving and growing Big Data field
- Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Delivering systems and features with top-notch quality, on time
- Stay current on technical knowledge to keep pace with rapidly changing technology, and work with the team in bringing new technologies on board
3. Big Data Engineer – SQL / ETL / AWS / Linux / SAP HANA
Burns Sheehan – London, United Kingdom
If you are a talented, passionate Big Data Engineer then an exciting new role has been created just for you! You’ll join a super impressive Data Analytics Team and play a key role on a number of very high profile projects in state of the art offices offering stunning views of London, an on-site gym and cool chill out area.
- Maintain and scale their data pipeline in the face of explosive growth
- Own one of many continuous improvement projects to expand the capacity and performance of their platform
- Support Data Analytics implementation of new tools to increase the robustness of our end-to-end data chain
- Develop tools for the administration and monitoring of their core data platform
Radley Group – Sydney, Australia
The benefits for the successful candidate will be:
- Silicon Valley style employee share schemes.
- Young, dynamic team at the forefront of their industry
- Tech. start up culture and environment
- Significant amount of support from SME’s in the business and an opportunity to hit the ground running and make this their own.
- a strong developer with at least 3 years experience in similar roles
- a core member of our engineering team
- concentrating on the improvement and expansion of our API
- working on our Angular client apps when needed
- taking ownership of automating and containerising our hosting
- prototyping new approaches and testing ideas
- helping to build an awesome engineering culture
5. Data Engineer – Visualization & Reporting
Babbel – Berlin, DE
We are looking for a Data Engineer (full-time) to start immediately in our office in Berlin-Kreuzberg, Germany.
With millions of regular users and more than 7000 hours of premium content, Babbel.com is growing fast while shaping the future of learning.
You are an experienced software engineer who has built and run cloud-based analytics infrastructure in internet companies before and you want to apply your expertise in the challenging setting of a fast-moving company.
In your role, you will help to evolve our existing data architecture and infrastructure to further enable data-driven insight.
You will collaborate closely with the technical product owner for Analytics, lead technical architects and the Analytics team to deliver analytics solutions for different stakeholders as well as introduce new technologies in the area of analytics, reporting, monitoring and dashboards, and Big Data.
- Manage reporting/dashboard plans for our different internal customers (e.g. product teams, marketing, finance, operations)
- Interface with engineers, analysts and managers to understand data needs.
- Design, develop, test, launch new reports and dashboards into production.
- Provide support to reports and dashboards running in production.
- Define and manage SLA for all data sets in allocated areas of ownership.
- Work with data architecture to triage infrastructure issues and drive to resolution.
- Build data expertise and own data quality in allocated areas of ownership.
What Exactly Is a Cloud Architect and How Do You Become One?
One of the buzzwords surrounding the cloud that I'm sure you've heard is "Cloud Architect." In this article, I will outline my understanding of what a cloud architect does and I'll analyze the skills and certifications necessary to become one. I will also list some of the types of jobs ...
Content Roadmap: AZ-500, ITIL 4, MS-100, Google Cloud Associate Engineer, and More
Last month, Cloud Academy joined forces with QA, the UK’s largest B2B skills provider, and it put us in an excellent position to solve a massive skills gap problem. As a result of this collaboration, you will see our training library grow with additions from QA’s massive catalog of 500+...
DevSecOps: How to Secure DevOps Environments
Security has been a friction point when discussing DevOps. This stems from the assumption that DevOps teams move too fast to handle security concerns. This makes sense if Information Security (InfoSec) is separate from the DevOps value stream, or if development velocity exceeds the band...
Test Your Cloud Knowledge on AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform
Cloud skills are in demand | In today's digital era, employers are constantly seeking skilled professionals with working knowledge of AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform. According to the 2019 Trends in Cloud Transformation report by 451 Research: Business and IT transformations re...
Disadvantages of Cloud Computing
If you want to deliver digital services of any kind, you’ll need to estimate all types of resources, not the least of which are CPU, memory, storage, and network connectivity. Which resources you choose for your delivery — cloud-based or local — is up to you. But you’ll definitely want...
Google Cloud vs AWS: A Comparison (or can they be compared?)
The "Google Cloud vs AWS" argument used to be a common discussion among our members, but is this still really a thing? You may already know that there are three major players in the public cloud platforms arena: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)...
Deployment Orchestration with AWS Elastic Beanstalk
If you're responsible for the development and deployment of web applications within your AWS environment for your organization, then it's likely you've heard of AWS Elastic Beanstalk. If you are new to this service, or simply need to know a bit more about the service and the benefits th...
How to Use & Install the AWS CLI
What is the AWS CLI? | The AWS Command Line Interface (CLI) is for managing your AWS services from a terminal session on your own client, allowing you to control and configure multiple AWS services and implement a level of automation. If you’ve been using AWS for some time and feel...
Cloud Academy’s Blog Digest: July 2019
July has been a very exciting month for us at Cloud Academy. On July 10, we officially joined forces with QA, the UK’s largest B2B skills provider (read the announcement). Over the coming weeks, you will see additions from QA’s massive catalog of 500+ certification courses and 1500+ ins...
AWS Fundamentals: Understanding Compute, Storage, Database, Networking & Security
If you are just starting out on your journey toward mastering AWS cloud computing, then your first stop should be to understand the AWS fundamentals. This will enable you to get a solid foundation to then expand your knowledge across the entire AWS service catalog. It can be both d...
How to Become a DevOps Engineer
The DevOps Handbook introduces DevOps as a framework for improving the process for converting a business hypothesis into a technology-enabled service that delivers value to the customer. This process is called the value stream. Accelerate finds that applying DevOps principles of flow, f...
AWS AMI Virtualization Types: HVM vs PV (Paravirtual VS Hardware VM)
Amazon Machine Images (AWS AMI) offers two types of virtualization: Paravirtual (PV) and Hardware Virtual Machine (HVM). Each solution offers its own advantages. When we’re using AWS, it’s easy for someone — almost without thinking — to choose which AMI flavor seems best when spinning...