(Update March 2019) To get a definition of the roles needed to maximize your organization’s investment in cloud, explore the latest skills in demand by job role with Cloud Academy’s Cloud Roster™.
Cloud Academy is always on the lookout for the most promising Cloud Computing opportunities.
Employers: interested in reaching our readers with your job openings? Send us an email.
After my article on Cloud Computing Salary: where to get the most for your skills , which included this observation:
It won’t be a surprise that many of the highest-paying Cloud Computing jobs are in the US and, from everything I’ve read, recruiters are increasingly looking for talent of all categories with skills in Amazon Web Services.
…I thought this week’s job search should focus on the US and below you find the most promising cloud positions from New York to San Francisco and everything in between.
1. Systems Engineer-Cloud Solutions
Zones, Inc. – Carol Stream, IL
The Systems Engineer (SE) works in partnership with Zones’ Enterprise pre-sales team to help drive the expansion of infrastructure solutions within a region and/or market. The SE- Cloud Solutions is a post-sales resource who implements effective infrastructure solutions and will be responsible for planning, designing, as well as supporting deployment efforts for information data storage technology for our clients in one or more of the following areas: Azure, AWS, Google or vCloud Air solutions for the delivery of project-based assignments including proof-of-concept, analysis, design/architecture, deployment and support.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Access, implement and train Zones clients around Cloud-Based Solutions from:
- Office 365 solution suite
- Azure Suite of solutions
- Azure Cloud storage
- Azure Site Recovery
- Azure Operational Insight and advanced monitoring
- Azure automation: scripting, batch files, PowerShell scripting etc.
- Vmware vCloud Air
- Will provide migrations and Hybrid migrations of products listed above
- Interact with Sales, clients and Software Publishers
- Configure ADFS in cloud
- Integrate multiple domains into a single cloud-based domain for Solutions above
- Leverage tools like SkyKick, BitTitan, etc. to automate processes
- Perform client assessments in support of Cloud design, implementations, and on-going support
- Provide fundamental security & isolation methodologies and features
2. Senior Database Administrator
salesforce.com – US – New York- New York
As a Senior Database Administrator at Salesforce Marketing Cloud, you will be part of a dynamic, global team delivering and supporting technology infrastructure to meet the growing needs of the business. You will be involved in database projects that will optimize current services as well as work on building the next-generation cloud infrastructure for the global production environment. You will collaborate with the Engineering and Development teams to ensure the designed service is fully operational with streamlined process and procedures for ongoing support and maintenance.
Successful candidates will be recognized as technical experts in the Database Administration discipline and will have the ability to articulate and demonstrate both deep and broad knowledge across multiple areas of information technology in support of a SaaS infrastructure. We are looking for innovative and enthusiastic technologists who thrive on efficiency by contributing to the development of standards, processes, and automation requirements that lead to operational excellence.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage and maintain hundreds of production databases.
- Automate and innovate new ways to manage large database clusters.
- Push the limits of MongoDB or MySQL.
- Work with cutting edge technology in the cloud computing space.
- Provide fanatical support to our customers through innovative solutions.
- Create sustainable and maintainable environments.
- Install, configure, update and troubleshoot a very large MySQL and MongoDB environment.
- Collaborate with Engineers and System Administrators on technical issues.
- Constantly improve. Be part of the community. Attend conferences and meetups.
3. Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud & Big Data Architect
IBM – Foster City,CA – USA
Want to be the architect who will take a cloud-based hosted solution in the retail space to the next generation? Want to build great solutions that will be used by real people?! Do you have the technical chops to drive change and take a team of talented engineers in the Big Data pathway?! If so, read on.
IBM Commerce is looking for a Software Architect to lead the way in transforming an existing set of Software as a Service (SaaS) products using the Big Data stack with the latest breed of technologies that they will find in the industry today! Candidate will collaborate with some of the best minds across IBM to innovate in the merchandising space and to provide highly available, fault tolerant, SaaS solutions. This role requires expertise in architecting solutions that span a wide range of technologies and application stacks, including the big data stack, application layer, relational databases, and User Interface (UI) technologies (Angular, D3, Dojo). Experience working in the retail industry is required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be focused on redesigning the industry-leading SaaS product offering to enable customers to go real time by improving performance and drastically reducing pricing workflow process times. Experience with architecting highly parallel multithreaded solutions with game-changing performance goals will be an important asset for the candidate.
Experience in the development of applications using Spark, Spark Streaming, Zookeeper, Marathon and Mesos stack is preferred. Experience in developing applications using Java8/Python/Scala is preferred. Demonstrated understanding of lambda architecture with knowledge of applying relevant principles towards solving real problems is expected.
The Software Architect is expected to work closely with a variety of stakeholders, including, but not limited to Product Management, Engineering Management, other architects within the organization, team members with varying levels of experience spanning multiple geographic zones. The candidate is expected to have an understanding of the competitive landscape and provide vision and direction on the application of technologies in solving problems for customers. The preferred candidate is expected to evaluate technologies in a driven environment and promulgate the technologies within the organization.
4. TCSA – AWS
Amazon – US-VA-Herndon
As an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Customer Support Associate (CSA), you will field customer e-mail, phone and chat support contacts, interface with AWS Developer Support Reps, and represent Amazon and AWS as you interact directly with our Developer community to resolve support issues. You will be a part of a team of exceptionally driven, customer-obsessed CSAs and leadership. You will act as a Cloud Computing evangelist in the leading edge of this growing industry.
Amazon has built a reputation for excellence with recent examples of being named #1 in customer service, #1 most trusted, and #2 most innovative. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is carrying on that tradition while leading the world in Cloud technologies. As a member of the AWS Support team, you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. You will work with leading companies in this space and directly with the engineering teams within Amazon developing these new capabilities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Providing prompt, efficient, detailed, customer-oriented service to AWS customers.
- Working with other customer support teams to ensure a consistent and high-quality level of support.
- Being a voice and advocate for our customers when something doesn’t feel right.
- Driving projects that improve support-related processes.
- Working with customers to understand how they use AWS services, and providing valuable feedback to business and development teams.
- Acting as an advocate for our customer, reporting and acting on observed areas for improvement.
- Actively seeking solutions to customer needs, communicating trends to leadership, and suggesting innovative solutions on behalf of the customer experience.
- Assisting with customer communication during AWS critical launches and support events.
- Assuming responsibility for developing detailed knowledge about specific product lines and features.
- Making sure internal knowledge reference pages are updated.
5. Linux Systems Engineer – Amazon Web Services – Kendall Square
Amazon – US-MA-Cambridge
Amazon Web Services (AWS) in Kendall Square, Cambridge MA is actively seeking a hands on System Engineer (System Admin). AWS experience is strongly preferred. This role involves extensive scripting with Shell, Python, Perl and/or C. Java coding experience would be a plus.
AWS is the fastest growing division within Amazon. Help us revolutionize the Cloud!
Amazon Web Services is a dynamic and rapidly growing business within Amazon.com. We are building some of the largest and most complex distributed systems in the world, and we need world-class people to help us implement and operate them.
We provide organizations with building block web services that allow them to innovate faster and operate their software more cost-effectively. These services-in-the-cloud include on-demand compute capacity, storage, content delivery, querying of structured data, message queuing, and more.
We have high standards for our computer systems as well as our employees: our systems are highly secure, highly reliable, highly available, and must function at massive scale; our employees are super smart, driven to serve customers, and fun to work with. The successful Systems Engineer does much more than plug computers together or tracks changes. They are instrumental in deploying, operating, and scaling a massive always-on distributed system that is core to all of AWS. We are looking for a seasoned Systems Engineer to join our energetic, fast-moving and passionate team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Experience running and maintaining a 24×7 Internet-oriented production environment, preferably across multiple data centers, involving (preferably) hundreds of machines.
- Demonstrable expertise around specifying, designing, and/or implementing system health, performance monitoring tools, and software management tools for 24×7 environments.
- A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
- Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems.
You will be expected to deliver on these kinds of things in the first six to twelve months on the job:
- Through participation in all phases of the development of a large distributed system; providing hardware, manageability, operability and performance perspectives on all aspects of the system.
- Define and/or refine hardware requirements and selected designs, balancing raw up-front dollar cost with operability and TCO, from the data center infrastructure up specify and participate in the development and delivery of operability-related features such as system health monitoring, diagnostics, repair, and other self-healing automation.
- Develop or further existing application and system management tools and processes that reduce manual efforts and increase overall efficiency.
- Adapt and improve operations management systems and processes to accommodate rapid and increasing growth in systems and traffic.
- Participate in the design and execution of production acceptance tests and new hardware evaluations.
- Maintain fleet inventory management, including producing, maintaining, and evolving capacity plans for various components.
- Monitor the health of the fleet, automating system health, maintenance tasks, and reporting systems as needed.
- Perform various system maintenance tasks (your hands get dirty here), including configuration of new machines.
- Manage directly assigned tasks and on-call duties gracefully.
Which Certifications Should I Get?
The old AWS slogan, “Cloud is the new normal” is indeed a reality today. Really, cloud has been the new normal for a while now and getting credentials has become an increasingly effective way to quickly showcase your abilities to recruiters and companies. With all that in mind, the s...
The Positive Side of 2020: People — and Their Tech Skills — Are Everyone’s Priority
I am starting to write this while reading my message last year, and it definitely feels a bit weird considering what 2020 turned out to be for all of us. It’s been a very strange year for all of us — Cloud Academy customers, colleagues, and friends have been impacted in different way...
Web Hosting vs. Cloud Hosting: What’s the Difference?
A growing number of businesses go online annually. This is not surprising because the future is in online sales. According to forecasts, only in the U.S., the number of online shoppers will increase to 300 million by 2023, which is 91% of the total population of the country. The begi...
10 Benefits of Using Cloud Storage
It’s 2020, and now cloud storage has become one of the most convenient and efficient methods to store data online. There are many storage service providers on the internet, and this area is so vast now every big tech company owns a separate storage facility, which helps to generate a si...
Learn Cloud Computing: Prerequisites
What are the prerequisites and requirements to learn cloud computing? This is the first article in a series to introduce our members to the prerequisites to learning cloud computing. This was a question I was emailed countless times from our users, and while we have Learning Paths, AWS...
8 Financial Benefits of Cloud Migration
Companies that have long migrated to the cloud many times have confirmed the effectiveness of this solution from a practical point of view. This gives you more flexibility to perform tasks, work with data is organized more quickly and efficiently, and the data itself is stored under rel...
10 Reasons Digital Marketing Is More Successful With Cloud Computing
Cloud computing and digital marketing Cloud computing is a technology that serves extensive benefits to businesses. It empowers them to operate more effectively and improve their productivity as well. This is because the tools and applications that are integrated into the cloud can be ...
Cloud Computing: Can It Be a Solution for Your Marketing Strategy?
The competition in the business landscape is daunting and you need to go the extra mile to establish your presence in the market. Besides just ensuring that the products you offer are of the best quality, your marketing strategy should also be better than the rest. Basically, it is all ...
Cloud Computing Solutions: 7 Trends for the Future
The world of cloud computing is in a state of flux. Not long ago, the cloud was considered an emerging technology, known only to IT specialists. Today it is a part of everyday life – 96% of businesses use the cloud in one form or another, and this number only looks set to grow. Whether ...
8 Surprising Ways Cloud Computing Is Changing Education
Cloud computing: Empowering the education industry Over the years, the education industry has come a long way. Teaching and learning are no longer confined to textbooks and classrooms and now reaches computers and mobile devices. Today, learners are always connected — whether they are ...
What Exactly Is a Cloud Architect and How Do You Become One?
One of the buzzwords surrounding the cloud that I'm sure you've heard is "Cloud Architect." In this article, I will outline my understanding of what a cloud architect does and I'll analyze the skills and certifications necessary to become one. I will also list some of the types of jobs ...
Disadvantages of Cloud Computing
If you want to deliver digital services of any kind, you’ll need to estimate all types of resources, not the least of which are CPU, memory, storage, and network connectivity. Which resources you choose for your delivery — cloud-based or local — is up to you. But you’ll definitely want...